Why The Daily wants to teach you how to caucus

%23TeachMeHowtoCaucus

#TeachMeHowtoCaucus

Maddy Arnold

We are just days away from participating in our first-in-the-nation caucus and helping to decide the nominees for our next president. As characterized by the countless visits from candidates to our city in recent weeks, now is obviously a special time in our state. But will ISU students choose to participate?

For many here at Iowa State, it is the first time they get to participate in this political phenomenon called the Iowa Caucuses. Whether students are from out-of-state, just became old enough to vote or are overwhelmed by the whole process, the Iowa Caucus can be difficult to understand.

From what The Daily has observed, many students feel intimidated by American politics. Unfortunately, many feel as if they do not know enough to participate in the political process or join in the conversation.

Additionally, as a newspaper, The Daily’s sole purpose is to serve its community by informing and educating readers. After hearing that students may be unaware or confused by the caucus process, we decided that it was our responsibility to help out.

Because of these reasons, The Daily wanted to help students learn about and get involved with the Iowa Caucuses. The question then became: but how?

At the start of this school year, The Daily created the first-ever political team, reporters and an editor devoted to covering politics and government in a new and consistent way. But now that the students know about the politics, do they know about the process?

That’s how the idea of The Daily’s #TeachMeHowtoCaucus event came about. We partnered with the ISU College Democrats and ISU College Republicans to put on a mock caucus and show students step-by-step of what to expect Monday night. Additionally, students can participate in caucus trivia to learn just why Iowa’s first-in-the-nation status is so important.

Mock caucuses will take place every half hour between 10 p.m. and 12 a.m. Friday night in the Pioneer Room of the Memorial Union at ISU AfterDark. We hope to see you there.

Maddy Arnold

Engagement Editor