Four finalists named in search for equal opportunity director

ISD

ISD

Alex Hanson

Four finalists have been selected as candidates in the search to be Iowa State’s director of equal opportunity.

The new director will oversee all aspects of equal opportunity and affirmative action programs, from ensuring university compliance with laws and regulations to investigating and resolving complaints, according to Iowa State.

The finalists, listed below, will all visit campus and take part in a one-hour open forum that is open to the public.

• Sharon Abraham, who is currently director of the office of diversity and affirmative action at Eastern Michigan University in Ypsilanti, will visit campus Monday. The open forum is scheduled at 3 p.m. in 2019 Morrill Hall.
  • Ellyn Bartges, who is currently the director of the office for institutional equity and access at St. Cloud State University in Minnesota, will visit campus Feb. 8. The open forum is scheduled for 3 p.m. in 2019 Morrill Hall.
  • Margo Foreman, who is currently associate director of the Office of Equal Opportunity at Indiana University-Purdue University in Indianapolis, will visit campus Feb. 11. The open forum is scheduled at 3 p.m. in 1213 Hoover Hall.
  • Jyl Shaffer, who is currently Title IX coordinator at the University of Cincinnati in Ohio, will visit campus Feb. 15. The open forum is scheduled for 3 p.m. in 2019 Morrill Hall.

Dawn Bratsch-Prince, associate provost for faculty, and Calli Sanders, senior associate athletics director for sports administration, have been leading a seven-member search committee. Spelman and Johnson Group is assisting with the search.

Mary Sirna, administrative adviser for ISU police, has been serving as interim equal opportunity director since October. Once selected, the new director will report to the president’s office.