Campaign staff work behind the scenes to boost Clinton

Kelsey Palmros

Behind Hillary Clinton stands not only supporters, but also a wide variety of staff that keeps the campaign running smoothly.

Clinton’s campaign is built off of supporters nationwide that have volunteered their time and effort to help further spread Clinton’s campaign and gain more supporters.

In Iowa, Clinton has 24 officers state-wide, with the focus being on getting people to commit to the caucus and educating people on what the caucus is.

The Iowa Caucus is an event where residents in the state of Iowa meet in caucuses all over the 1,682 precincts and elects members of communities to be delegates at the county conventions.

The Clinton campaign is volunteer-oriented and their Regional Organizing Directors and other organizers work with the local community members for hosting events such as house parties, coffees, and various other activities.

These campaign volunteers are spread out across the state of Iowa and work together to promote activism and educate Iowans on the caucus and Clinton.

Lillie Catlin, an organizer in Iowa City, has been working with the Clinton campaign’s “Hawkeyes for Hilary” group, in Iowa City since last April. She has been working on campaigns since 2013.

“I am an organizer in Iowa City, so I have several precinct that are mostly student populated, and I do a lot of work on campus,” Catlin said.

A typical day for Catlin includes checking in with the volunteers, getting materials ready for volunteers and coaching and training volunteers.

“Campaigns are really fun because they have those moments where you get to teach someone how to be an activist,” Catlin said.

Catlin spoke to her favorite experience on the campaign talking about the annual Jefferson-Jackson dinner and the various events that she has taken part in.

“It was just fun to be with my team [at the JJ Dinner],” Catlin said.

Sam Sorscher, who got his start working on campaigns last year in 2014, is the organizer in Ames.

“I was working on a senators race last year in North Carolina and it was my first experience organizing and I fell in love with it,” Sorscher said.

In August, Sorscher drove from North Carolina to Ames to become part of the Clinton campaign.

“Hillary was senator of New York and I am from New York and I just really wanted to work for Hillary and help elect the first female president,” Sorscher said.

Sorscher, along with student volunteers, can be found Monday through Friday in the free speech zone near Caribou coffee and Parks Library on campus.

“I am the organizer for Iowa State University, really we are on campus every day trying to talk to students about the caucus,” Sorscher said.

They are partake in “high traffic canvas,” where they table at the free speech zone, and when weather does not permit, they relocate to Starbucks.

In addition to being on campus, during the weekends, Sorscher, along with student volunteers, knock on doors throughout Ames.

Some students knock on doors during the evening on weekdays. They speak with the community about the caucus and how to get involved, as well as about Clinton’s campaign.

For Sorscher and Catlin both, their ground work is all volunteer based.

“We are focused on making sure we have our volunteers, making sure that things are happening here on the ground,” Sorscher said.

Sorscher has dedicated herself to educating students on campus and informing them of the caucus and Clinton’s campaign.

“A lot of students I talk to are 18 and this is their first year and it is very exciting,” Sorscher said.

Sorscher hopes to educate students and motivate them to vote and participate in the caucus.

During the Democratic debate held in Las Vegas, Sorscher and students that are Hillary supporters, put on a watch party, encouraging students to gather together and watch the debate on Iowa State University’s campus.

The idea behind the watch party was to bring Clinton supporters together and interact with each other, educating their peers and talking about the issues.

They also hand out a “commit to Caucus” card, a card that people sign to show their support for Clinton. These cards are then mailed back to those signees.

“I like getting to think about what motivates students,” Sorscher said.

Although neither Sorscher nor Catlin directly communicate with Clinton, herself, they interact with some volunteers that do.

“I don’t speak to her personally, really there is kind of a chain of command”, said Sorscher.

“I interact with mostly the volunteers, trying to keep the people of Iowa motivated and passionate,” Sorscher said.

For Sorscher, there is no particular moment that has been a favorite.

“I don’t think there is just one moment that particularly happened, I think it is just going out on campus for me, and talking to the students”, said Sorscher.