Battling computer vision syndrome and cyber sickness

Jenna Hrdlicka

During these last couple weeks of the semester, as students finish projects and study for finals, many may find themselves spending more time on their computers.

As the time spent on computers increases, so might the physical toll on students’ bodies. Many studies have proven a correlation between prolonged computer usage and eye strain, which can lead to troublesome symptoms including dry eyes, headaches and neck and back pain.

The main cause of computer-induced discomfort is a condition called computer vision syndrome. It’s defined by the American Optometric Association as a group of eye- and vision-related problems that result from prolonged computer, tablet, e-reader and cell phone use. The association states that the the level of discomfort rises in correlation with an increase in digital screen usage.

Potential discomforts students may feel after prolonged time on their computer include eyestrain, headaches, blurred vision, dry eyes and neck and shoulder pain.

Many factors contribute to these symptoms. Some of these factors include poor posture, less-than-optimal screen and room lighting, improper viewing distances, the glare from screens and poor body position while looking at the screen.

In order to reduce these discomforts, students can implement small physical changes in the way they view their electronic devices.

Frequent blinking is one way to minimize discomfort. Blinking helps alleviate the dryness that is caused by keeping eyes open while staring at the screen for too long. As shown in studies, many people blink less than normal due to the concentration of focusing on the screen while reading or watching a computer or phone screen. By voluntarily increasing blinks, these symptoms can be reduced.

Making sure that the screen is 20 to 28 inches away from eyes is another way to help reduce the harmful effects of computer vision syndrome.

Other ways to reduce strain include correcting body posture, using eye drops when dry eye symptoms occur and adjusting the screen tilt and lighting in the surrounding area to lessen glare. One study, published by the medical journal Continuing Nursing Education, recommends following a simple rule that states, “After 20 minutes on the computer, look about 20 feet away for at least 20 seconds.”

In addition to taking physical action, students who wear glasses can purchase lenses that are specifically designed to reduce the strain of computer usage on eyes. These lenses reflect the potentially harmful blue light emitted from electronic device screens and can help reduce the glare of the screen.

The other form of discomfort that is associated with viewing electronic screens is known as cyber sickness. Cyber sickness is the motion-induced dizziness some may feel after scrolling or changing screens frequently.

Overall, one of the easiest actions that can be taken to reduce both computer vision syndrome and cyber sickness is to take frequent breaks. By looking away from the screen frequently, or even getting up and walking away from the computer occasionally, the strain on the eyes is reduced greatly.

Computer vision syndrome and cyber sickness can lead to a variety of physical discomforts and are caused by an action that almost every student completes daily — viewing electronic screens. As more aspects of the college education are transferred to an online format, students must learn to combat the physical discomforts and hazards presented by viewing screens for a prolonged period of time.