Guest column: Change

Emily Blobaum/Iowa State Daily

Maria Alcivar speaks to the administration panel during the Students Against Bigotry discussion Wed. evening. The event was created to discuss the future of safety and inclusion of minority students on campus as well as the events regarding the peaceful protests on Sept. 12th. 

Change!

Let me start with a little 411 on Latinos United for Change.

Primero, LUCHA, formally known as Students Against Bigotry, formed out of Latino students and allies at Iowa State, the University of Iowa, the University of Northern Iowa, Drake University and DREAM Iowa mobilizing to host a demonstration at the CyHawk game where Republican candidates were scheduled to appear. At this time, all of us present stood united against the hateful rhetoric emitted by Republicans during our current presidential race. It was a time for action and a time to come together and organize; Latinos and friends stood together on the basic belief that ignorant bigots like Donald Trump have no place in the United States’ politics. Ese payaso has no place in the white house — everyone knows that.

Segundo, the #AskLeath panel discussion or forum — whatever you want to call it — happened in light of the blatant racism experienced during that protest. You know, the video that went viral where Shelby Mueller is recorded saying, “Vote white supremacy,” before ripping apart the sign Jovani Rubio was holding peacefully during our demonstration. She was cheered on by a multitude of IsU students. In case you are a little lost, just Google it — like my momma says.

So, ya que estamos en estas, to those that say it was exaggerated or triggered by alcohol: I dare you to stand for your values and beliefs without reacting when somebody puts their hands on you, pushes you while insulting you, destroys your property, throws beer tabs at you. All this while screaming crazy remarks in your face such as how you don’t pay taxes, how you don’t know English, how you abuse welfare benefits, how you don’t belong in this country and how you am an “immigrant” as they push past you for four hours. I bet you would not even stand 15 minutes of that type of harassment.

With that said, aplausos para mis compatriotas Latinas y amigos. I’m damn proud of all of you.

A little 411 about me now. I am the only U.S. citizen in my family. I became a citizen July 27. Before then, I was undocumented, but I still paid taxes and so does my family. For those who don’t know, undocumented people use a Tax ID Number to pay their taxes. As an undocumented person, you can’t apply for welfare or any government aid. Get your facts straight already.

I am bilingual, fluent in two major languages of the world. I am an immigrant and calling me that is not an insult. I’m damn proud to be a Latina from Ecuador, a beautiful, small country in South America. Lastly, I do belong here. I was raised in a small urban city called West New York, New Jersey, since I was 11 years old. Now, I’m an Iowa resident. I know more about this country’s politics than my own.

My first experience with racism at Iowa State was as freshmen in 2008 riding CyRide. While my friends and I were talking in Spanish, my native Language, we were told by a woman to “Speak this country’s language or get out.”

But I’m still here, and I’m here to stay, like it or not. Y voy a seguir hablando Español donde me dé la gana!

Now let me address the elephant in the room. Yes, President Leath finally put out a public message acknowledging that racism is well alive on Iowa State’s campus. But — here I go — I did not see any apology for his statement about being “race blind.” I mean, technically even an apology doesn’t cut it because he openly admitted to not “seeing” me and the 8,044 rest of students of color, which include international students here at Iowa State. Also, how come the two people President Leath charged to meet with LUCHA are the very same people who are leaving this institution by the end of this semester, Tom Hill and Pamela Anthony?

I don’t expect the administration to meet with students every time something happens to us on campus. Trust me, no one has enough time for that. But what really bothers me at the core of this issue is the lack of transparency from administration. By the way, this is my personal opinion not LUCHA’s.

Also, let me point out here that the Strategic Plan Steering Committee was established, from what it looks like on the university’s website, back in 2005, and it is revisited every five years. Its mission started out to “increase and support diversity in the university community.”

Although this is a very important and useful platform, it was not necessarily implemented in light of the student movement on campus. Just FYI.

Furthermore, I am part of the campus environment committee by pure luck. La suerte que tengo es divina. I happened to be substituting for my graduate department senator during a Graduate and Professional Student Senate meeting when a list was going around to sign up for any of the six strategic planning subcommittees. I’ve heard complaints from students who applied or signed up to be part of these committees and were not accepted. How were the students participating chosen again?

If you want to see real change happening at Iowa State’s campus, students need to organize, unite and demand action. We can continue to have plenty of conversations with faculty, staff and administration, but action is the only way to create change.

Speak your mind; form coalitions with more than students of color, with Ames community groups and student leaders in other universities in Iowa; ask questions and demand change because we, the students, are the ones paying tuition.

So get ready because although this semester is over the fight continues and will continue until we manage to feel safe and included in our university. Like my boy Jovani Rubio said, “En la union esta la fuerza! La lucha continua!”

#Dreamer #WeAreHereToStay