Notebook: Niang, Prohm on rivalry; Brady Ernst seeking redshirt

Senior Georges Niang looks to drive towards the basket during a basketball game against the Buffalo Bulls on Dec. 7 in Hilton Coliseum. The Cyclones would go on to win 84-63.

Chris Wolff

Georges Niang has become known for his trash talking, especially when it comes to the Cy-Hawk series and getting underneath the skin of Iowa fans.

Two years ago, Niang declared Iowa a “Cyclone state” after beating the Hawkeyes. Last season, Niang blew a kiss to the Hawkeye student section as the Cyclones throttled Iowa at Carver-Hawkeye Arena.

Niang has also been known to talk some trash on Twitter with Iowa fans, but the senior forward has given up the social media website this season. He dished out a little trash talk at his press conference Tuesday, just two days before the Hawkeyes come to town.

This will be Niang’s fourth time facing off against the Hawkeyes, and he wants to end it on a high note, as he could either end his career against Iowa 3-1 with a win or 2-2 with a loss.

“If I only went 2-2 with Iowa, then what’s the point of playing?” Niang joked. “Obviously, the goal is to go 3-1.”

Prohm on rivalry 

Steve Prohm may be new to Iowa and new to the Cy-Hawk series, but he has plenty of experience with rivalry. 

As a student at Alabama, he experienced rivalry with Auburn, which he referred to as “the other team.” At Murray State, Prohm also had rivalries with Western Kentucky, Belmont and Austin Peay State. 

“I know it’s a big deal,” Prohm said of the Cy-Hawk rivalry. “I understand what it means to the people of Iowa.”

He understands the importance of the game, and, as a coach, he wants to keep things as normal as possible. 

“I love the rivalry games, because you want to play in big games,” Prohm said. “On the other side, you got to prepare the same way. You don’t prepare any different, and it’s the next game. Our motto that night will be the same, just trying to win the day and go 1-0.”

Brady Ernst to seek medical redshirt 

The ISU coaching staff has decided to shut down freshman forward Brady Ernst and seek a medical redshirt. Iowa State was toying with redshirting Ernst at the beginning of the season but elected to play him, as the team is already short on depth.

Ernst suffered an ACL tear last spring during his senior season of high school. Ernst hasn’t progressed how the team hoped he would, so it will look to get a medical redshirt.

Ernst played in six games this season, mostly in the closing minutes. He played 14 total minutes, scoring two points and grabbing four rebounds. If he is granted a medical redshirt, Ernst will still have all four years of eligibility remaining.