Board of Regents to discuss tuition at Wednesday hearing

Matthew Rezab/Iowa State Daily

From left, UNI President Bill Ruud, Board of Regents President Bruce Rastetter and ISU President Steven Leath take questions from the media in the Scheman Building during the Board of Regents meeting on June 4. 

Mitchel Anderson

The Iowa Board of Regents will meet Wednesday in Ames, where it will vote to approve the 2016-2017 tuition rates and mandatory fees for the three state schools, vote to award two honorary doctorate degrees and vote on the demolition of a vacant storage space at Iowa State.

The regents will vote on whether to approve the proposed tuition rates and mandatory fees for the 2016-2017 academic year.

Under the proposed tuition rates, Iowa State and the University of Northern Iowa would not see an increase to undergraduate resident tuition after the 3 percent increase for the spring 2016 semester. The University of Iowa’s tuition was not increased for spring 2016, but it will increase 3 percent for the 2016-2017 academic year.

Also under the proposed plan is an increase to international student fees at Iowa State for the 2016-2017 school year. International student fees would increase by $500 every year for three years, totaling a $1,500 increase after three years. Iowa State cited an “increased need for services” just as there are for all students, add research.

Some international students at Iowa State have raised questions about the increase and what the money would be used for.

Another item on the board’s agenda is a vote to approve Iowa State’s request to award an honorary doctor of science degree to Eugene G. Sukup and an honorary doctor of humane letters degree to Dame DeAnne Julius at the fall 2015 commencement ceremony.

Lastly, the regents’ Property and Facilities Committee will consider recommending to the board approval of Iowa State’s request to demolish the Spangler Geotechnical Laboratory. The building was built in 1949 and was expanded in 1988, but it hasn’t been used in several years. The university cites deficiencies in the building and “extensive deferred maintenance” as the main reasons for demolition of the building.

Wednesday’s meeting will take place in the Reiman Ballroom at the Alumni Center, where the board will convene in open session at 12:30 p.m.

The full agenda is available to view at www.regents.iowa.gov.

A live audio feed of the meeting will be available at www.regents.iowa.gov