Voter turnout for Ames City Council elections

Voting booths in Maple Hall during the 2015 election.

Michaela Ramm

New members were elected to Ames City Council on Tuesday night, but the voter turnout among the student populated precincts was low.

The Union Drive Community Center and Maple Hall were two on-campus locations that ISU students had the opportunity to vote at. These locations fall under Ward 4, where 9,424 Ames voters were registered.

At the UDCC, 22 of the more than 9,000 registered voters cast a ballot. Only nine people cast their vote at Maple Hall. 

One location near campus, the Memorial Lutheran Church, is also within Ward 4. There, 293 of the Ames registered voters cast a ballot in the City Council elections.

Of the 54,176 registered voters, 7,104 cast ballots from 7 a.m. to 8 p.m. in Story County for various city elections. The turnout comes to 13.11 percent of registered voters in the county. 

The at-large seat on the council went to Bronwyn Beatty-Hansen, who earned 53.19 percent at 2,499 votes. Her opponent, Matt Converse, earned 2,191 or 46.64 percent.

The Ward 2 race was between Chris Nelson and Dan DeGeest, with Nelson taking the seat with 59.23 percent of the vote, or 555 votes. DeGeest earned 381 votes measuring 40.66 percent of the total.

Incumbent Tim Gartin ran unopposed for Ward 4 and earned 96.81 percent of the vote with 1,427 votes. Write-in votes earned the other 3.19 percent.