Editorial: It’s on us, Iowa State, to stop sexual assault

Sexual Assault Awareness Ribbon.

Sexual Assault Awareness Ribbon.

Trigger warning: This editorial uses language that may trigger sexual assault survivors. 

As college students, there are very few times in our lives when we have as much power to effect change, for better or for worse, as we do now.

Whether it is lobbying for change with the various advocacy groups and clubs, deciding where funding goes and providing recommendations to administration through Student Government or even just speaking at open forums on important community issues, there are countless opportunities for students to truly make a difference while at Iowa State.

With that said, why not use some of your time here to make a positive difference on our campus and in the lives of thousands of other students? Perhaps one of the most glaring issues that demands not only students’ attention but also intervention is the culture on college campuses that enables sexual assaults, contributes to victim blaming and does not support survivors.

What students and the university are doing now is clearly not working. But it’s time to finally change our culture on campus.

It’s on us, Iowa State, to stop sexual assault.

——

It is no secret that sexual assault is a very pressing issue on Iowa State’s campus and many other campuses across the country. In the last few years, Iowa State as a whole has had a bad record in not only the number of sexual assaults that occur here, but also in dealing with the aftermath of the crime.

Last school year was perhaps one of the worst on record for sexual assault at Iowa State. Unfortunately, there is no way of knowing the exact number of sexual assaults at Iowa State because more than 90 percent of sexual assault survivors on college campuses do not report the crime, according to the National Sexual Violence Resource Center.

However, in the Clery Act Report — an annual safety statistics and information document all universities that receive federal funding must publish — Iowa State reported it had 17 forcible sex offenses in the 2014 calendar year. In the calendar year 2013, Iowa State reported it had 20 forcible sex offenses.

Additionally, last year, the U.S. Department of Education’s Office of Civil Rights announced it was investigating Iowa State, along with many other schools, for its handlings of sexual assault cases at the university. A letter sent to the Office of Civil Rights by an ISU student said she felt discriminated against in her sexual assault case against a male student, which triggered the investigation.

In August, Iowa State’s chapter of the Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity was removed from campus for at least four years due to health and safety violations, the university’s suspension of its status as a student organization and because the chapter did not align to the fraternity’s core values. The suspension came seven months after a member of the fraternity was named, and subsequently suspended, in a sexual assault case and the assault was reported to have occurred in the house itself.

Lastly, in April, the American Association of Universities began collecting information on the climate of sexual assault at Iowa State. The association’s report was released in September and gave some startling numbers on the commonality of sexual assaults or other forms of misconduct on campus and the lack of knowledge on the subject among ISU students.

Perhaps one of the most startling numbers to come out of the report is that just under 25 percent of undergraduate women “reported experiencing non-consensual penetration or sexual touching by force or incapacitation” by the time that they were seniors.

To further exemplify just how severe this epidemic is, the report detailed additional demographics of sexual assault survivors. About 3.1 percent of undergraduate men reported being sexually assaulted by “non-consensual penetration or sexual touching.” Additionally, students who are non-heterosexual have a sexual assault rate much higher than those who are heterosexual — 20.8 percent compared to 8.8 percent. Students with disabilities also show a higher rate than those who do not — 20.1 percent compared to 9.3 percent.

So how do we begin to educate our students on the subject, raise awareness and support survivors of sexual assault in an effort to prevent future sexual assaults from occurring and lowering these statistics?

——-

Statistics show that students, admittedly, do not know the definition of sexual assault and don’t necessarily recognize it when it’s happening. In addition to the majority of students who feel they do not know the definition of sexual assault, where to get help or where to make a report, many bystanders also do not intervene in potential sexual assault situations.

Only about 29 percent of ISU students reported being “very or extremely knowledgeable” about the university’s definition of sexual assault. Also, only about 34 percent of students know where to find help if they or a friend were sexually assaulted. Lastly, only 28 percent of students know where to make a report of sexual assault. Quite frankly, these numbers are shocking and show a serious gap in knowledge.

Put simply, people who are under the influence of alcohol or drugs cannot consent to sex. With that being said, almost 40 percent of students said they had witnessed a drunk person heading for a sexual encounter. Almost 76 percent of those bystanders chose to do nothing, according to the report, and almost 24 percent said it was because they weren’t sure what to do.

Obviously the first step to improving any of these numbers is education. As it stands, almost 56 percent of students could not remember if their orientation included information on sexual assault or misconduct or said it absolutely did not include this information. So if students feel our orientation program for new students did not include this information, let’s take it upon ourselves to educate each other and finally start to improve safety on our campus.

——-

In the last year, just as Iowa State’s sexual assault climate was at its worst, students began to take action. Student Government supported the launch of and created a director for the national It’s On Us campaign on our campus to inspire students to educate themselves and work to end sexual assault.

Additionally, chapters in the greek community brought the Live Your Oath campaign to campus. Members of the community could learn about campus sexual assault and sign a pledge to do what they can to prevent it.

Cadets Against Sexual Assault, a group made up of ISU ROTC members introduced last year, teaches student groups bystander intervention and information to raise awareness of sexual assault on college campuses. The group worked with members of the Alpha Tau Omega fraternity at the beginning of the month.

Students like these, and many others, are taking it upon themselves to end sexual assault on our campus, support survivors and raise awareness. If we want to show our administration and our student body that we are serious about improving the sexual assault climate on campus, we must take action ourselves, like these student groups.

Because of inspiring students like these, a desire to educate ISU students and an overwhelming desire to support survivors of this horrible crime, the Iowa State Daily is also taking action. In addition to our coverage of the issue, including both articles, columns and editorials, The Daily is joining the It’s On Us campaign.

————

The Daily believes that journalism is no longer just reporting through text and photos in a newspaper or website. Because of this, The Daily wants to engage and educate ISU students on important issues in our community in new and interesting ways.

This is why The Daily is co-sponsoring with Student Government the first-ever It’s On Us Day this Thursday. The day is 2015’s It’s On Us campaign at Iowa State launch, as well as a way to celebrate It’s On Us Week of Action around the nation.

To take part in the campaign, sign pledges to help keep others on campus safe from sexual assault and work to find solutions to the problem. Additionally, employees of The Daily, Student Government representatives and other members of the ISU community will be wearing teal and purple, the colors of sexual assault awareness, to show support to survivors.

So, in your years at Iowa State, how are you going to use your time? You have the power to be a positive influence and truly make a difference in our community. Those at The Daily and countless other students chose to work to improve the sexual assault climate on campus.

ISU students have the opportunity to participate in It’s On Us Day on Thursday, educate themselves and others, support survivors and take the first step to improving our university. The only way we’ll ever put an end to sexual assault here at Iowa State is if we, as students, make an effort and do it together.

Because it’s on us, Iowa State, to stop sexual assault.