Search begins for next College of Human Sciences dean

Tianxin Wen

A search committee has been formed to find Pamela White’s replacement as the next dean of the College of Human Sciences.

The committee has been seeking a successor for White, who is planning her retirement at the end of next June. The estimated date for the new dean to assume duties is July 1, 2016.

The search committee co-chairs are Cathann Kress, vice president for Extension and Outreach, and Wendy Wintersteen, dean of the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences. 

To help aid in the selection process, the college hosted two open forums to discuss wants and needs from the next dean. The first forum took place Oct. 19 with members of the College of Human Sciences, other faculty and staff members and some students.

“They give us, I think, some good advice,” Kress said.. “They also have some suggestions for areas they’d like us to explore with questions.”

Transformative leadership was the discussion topic in the first forum.

“[The people who attended the forum] are very interested in making sure that we will bring a candidate who not only had former leadership but who really understands the importantance of transformative leadership,” Kress said. “They were very interested in someone who has faced challenges … who is interested in thinking about the future, thinking about where things could be going [and] building new opportunities.”

Kress said she also had some personal expectations for the new dean.

“From my own perspective, I think we have a really strong community here at Iowa State University. [Hiring] someone who wants to collaborate, who wants to cooperate with other deans and other leadership is very important,” Kress said in regard to whoever is going to fill the position.

Kress said she also agreed with the idea presented in the first forum: to have a dean who understands the importance of not just the students on campus but also citizens across the state. She said applicants with diverse backgrounds would be nice to see.

“I think it is important that [the new dean] is knowledgeable of teacher education because that’s a big part of the school of education,” said Gale Seiler, associate professor in the school of education. “Someone who is responsive to the need of faculty and students, and someone who is a leader and will lead us through difficult conversations.”

Students also have the opportunity to get involved in the search process.

“I would like to express my idea toward this topic, I just never thought I could get involved in the decision making process,” said Xingyi Zhang, a second year graduate student in apparel, events and hospitality management, in regards to the ability to participate in the open forums.

Any questions and suggestions regarding the search and nominations for the position are welcome and should be sent to the co-chairs’ emails, [email protected] or [email protected], Kress said.