E-cigarettes included in smoke-free campus policy

ISD

ISD

Adam Sodders

Drones and on-campus smoking were among the topics discussed at the monthly ISU Professional and Scientific Council meeting Wednesday afternoon.

The meeting, which took place in the Gallery Room of the Memorial Union, was to gather regular information and new developments concerning the Professional and Scientific Council.

“This is a little more informal,” said meeting leader Clayton Johnson, academic adviser for pre-architecture and open design students. He said the three motions presented to the council were to be discussed not voted on. 

Kris Koerner, manager of the Facilities Assent Management Information System within Facilities Planning and Management, presented the three motions to the council: a change to the on-campus smoking policy, a facilities and grounds use change and video cameras for administrative use.

“It has been decided to include e-cigarettes in the smoke-free campus policy,” Koerner said.

This change in the smoke-free campus policy was decided by Koerner’s committee, as well as other departmental committees on campus.

The committees collected opinions from faculty, staff and students to decide on the inclusion of e-cigarettes in the policy, Koerner said.

The use of drones, or unmanned aerial systems, for recreational or non-research purposes will not be allowed on campus if a new motion passes.

“Use of [this] technology for research could be allowed,” Koerner said. “The public would not be allowed to use these systems on campus.”

Finally, a motion for restricting the on-campus use of all video cameras not approved by Facilities Planning and Management was brought up.

“[My committee] has already looked at the language of the policy,” Koerner said. “We are more concerned with the wording of the policy than the policy itself.”

She said making sure all cameras fit certain requirements would limit the risk of hacking video systems, as well as potentially protecting the privacy of ISU students, faculty and staff.

Another issue discussed during the meeting included a clarification of the Extra-Meritorious Performance Pay program. Emma Mallarino-Houghton, director of classification and compensation for University Human Resources, gave the council an in-depth explanation of the program.

The program is designed to reward faculty and staff who do exceptional work while performing their duties. The rewards can be given to an individual or a group.

Houghton said the reward comes in the form of a lump-sum payment, maxing out at 10 percent of the employee’s salary. She also said the program is not used as a replacement for base salary.

The council’s expenditures were also reported to the group.

“[The Professional and Scientific Council] spent $431.68 in the month of September,” said Kate Goudy-Haht, program coordinator for human sciences and development and secretary and treasurer for the council.

Diversity training was discussed at the meeting as well.

“I’m trying to get more [professional and scientific] staff to attend [Iowa State Conference on Race and Ethnicity],” said Katie Davidson, international program coordinator for the College of Veterinary Medicine and vice president for equity and inclusion on the council. She encouraged members to go to more than one diversity training activity.

There were no actions regarding unfinished business or general orders for the October meeting.

Next month, the Professional and Scientific Council will meet Tuesday, Nov. 5 to discuss October council activities. That meeting will also take place in the Gallery Room of the Memorial Union.