Bacon lovers converge at expo

The Hansen Agricultural Learning Center hosted the 3rd annual Bacon Expo on Saturday.  The Expo offered opportunities for community members to taste bacon and learn more about agriculture.

Adam Sodders

More than 1,000 bacon lovers made sure to stop by the Jeff and Deb Hansen Agriculture Student Learning Center midday Saturday to celebrate the 2015 ISU Bacon Expo, dubbed “Bacon Nation.”

Bacon cupcakes, bacon-flavored popcorn, caramel-bacon gelato, chocolate-covered bacon and barbeque bacon were available from 23 vendors at the event.

“Our whole purpose is education,” said Alex Conover, junior in animal science and sponsor chairman for the expo. “The expo uses bacon to teach people about pork and the pork industry.”

Since March 2015, Iowa leads the country in annual pork sales with a $6.8 billion industry, according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture website. North Carolina is second, with annual sales of $2.9 billion.

Since Iowa has such a high standing in the national pork industry, events like the Bacon Expo become more important and give experts a chance to educate people about the industry, Conover said.

Expogoers also enjoyed a live pig display that included several piglets. The expo also featured the live carving of a pork carcass into bacon and live music.

“[The expo] is awesome,” said visitor Raymond Johnston, Grinnell resident. 

He said going around the stands and tasting the different foods was his favorite part of the event.

Other guests enjoyed the non-traditional, bacon-based foods.

“I liked the caramel-bacon gelato,” said Jessica Schaumburg, junior in food science.

Emily Simonson, junior in food science, said she preferred the chocolate-covered bacon.

This year’s expo broke previous record ticket sales, exceeding 900 visitors within the first hour of the event. Lexi Marek, tri-chairwoman of the expo and junior in public service and administration in agriculture, said she was excited to help lead the event.

“I wouldn’t know as many people without [the] Bacon Expo,” she said. “My favorite part is seeing the event come together.”

Marek said the expo is led and set up by ISU students. It is also the only student-run bacon expo in the United States.

“[Setting up the expo] was probably one of the hardest things I’ve done in my life,” Marek said. “Getting 200 [event workers] on the same page is difficult.”

Students received support setting up the expo from the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences. 

“The Bacon Expo this year is a great success,” said Wendy Wintersteen, dean of the college. “I love seeing the student leadership have such a great event.”

Kathleen Hunt, assistant professor of agricultural education and studies, also said she enjoyed the pork and bacon celebration.

“I love that this is my college on display,” she said. “It makes me really proud to be a part of CALS.”

The expo was sponsored by Iowa Select Farms, the Iowa Corn Growers Association, Brenneman Pork, Summit Agricultural Group, Tyson Foods, Harrisvaccines and the Iowa Pork Producers Association.

Local vendors that were in attendance at the expo included Chocolaterie Stam, Olde Main Brewing Co. and Scratch Cupcakery.

ISU groups and clubs included the Food Science Club, Alpha Gamma Rho, the Meat Science Club, the Agricultural Business Club and Block & Bridle.

“[The Bacon Expo] is an event that has it all,” Wintersteen said.