Gridiron: Linebacker Willie Harvey reaps benefits from defensive shift

Charlie Coffey/Iowa State Daily

Willie Harvey, redshirt freshman linebacker, races to help tackle the ball carrier during Iowa State’s spring game at Jack Trice Stadium on April 11.

Luke Manderfeld

ISU linebacker Willie Harvey wasn’t the happiest player on the ISU football team after being informed he wouldn’t play his freshman season at Iowa State.

Taking his practice reps with the scout team, the team that practices against the best squad, Harvey didn’t have the confidence that he would play.

“There’s always that freshman frustration of like, ‘I want to play now,’” Harvey said.

After his concerns were confirmed when the team handed him a redshirt, Harvey knew he had to change some things. He wasn’t the player he wanted to be.

“I just felt like I wanted to play earlier,” Harvey said. “I wasn’t the perfect guy out there, but I did some things wrong I could say … [I needed to improve on] learning the plays, focusing on the players, knowing all of the plays, because you know you are going to be in command of the defense.”

Harvey took that idea to heart and worked hard to learn the plays during the 2014-15 season. In his absence, the ISU defense struggled, ranking in the bottom of the NCAA in numerous defensive statistics.

But during the summer before this season, ISU coach Paul Rhoads went up to Harvey and discussed the proposition of him getting some playing time in the upcoming season.

“The coach personally talked to me and was like, ‘You’re a fit for this defense,’” Harvey said.

The words of confidence stuck in Harvey’s head, and a light flicked on. It intensified his motivation to earn that starting job.

“My mind triggered. I can work hard, I can play,” Harvey said. “I wasn’t planning on making an impact.”

His work ethic was also boosted by fellow linebacker Jordan Harris. Harris, a redshirt junior, had a similar path to the starting lineup. He redshirted his first year at Iowa State and was just thrown into the starting lineup this season.

And Harris’ biggest problem was learning the playbook, something which he taught Harvey.

“He’s been my big brother throughout,” Harvey said. “Ever since I got here, and he got here, he’s been a big brother for me. He’s looked out for me a lot.”

Harvey’s versatility as an outside linebacker made him a great fit for the 3-4 defense to which Iowa State switched before the season. It’s a dream come true for Harvey, who jumped on the extra spot added to the linebacker group. 

“I feel like there is more space to work as a linebacker,” Harvey said. “I’m outside, so I can play cover in, and I can play run defense.”

The 3-4 scheme doesn’t just help Harvey — it helps an entire defense that has seen a recent influx of inexperienced players from redshirt seasons and junior colleges.

“Quite honestly, it’s simpler,” Rhoads said. “When you do something simpler with a younger player who doesn’t have the experience and the knowledge … He can be a quicker study because of the simplicity of [the defense].”

In three games this season, Harvey has 13 tackles, tied for sixth on the team, and he still has three more eligible years left.

Harvey’s early playing time was improbable due to his attitude at the beginning of his football career.  

“He’s taken the coaching so good, and he’s really grown up as a player and a student of the game,” said Levi Peters, linebacker and captain. “He kind of used to be kind of stubborn about listening to the coaching, which freshmen don’t like that. Now, he wants to learn and he really cares about his teammates and it’s important to him.”

Harvey has risen to the top of the depth chart and is now listed as the starting weakside linebacker.

The coachability coupled with his raw level of talent makes him one of the brightest players in the defensive ranks this season. 

“I knew he could play this year,” Peters said. “I said that as soon as he got here. Just the way his body moves, and his linebacker position is just smooth, he just has so much talent.”

But Harvey feels like there is still room to improve. Peters calls him an “elite linebacker,” but Harvey said he just wants to become a better player by refining his skills.

“[I want to keep] perfecting my craft, I guess, as a linebacker,” Harvey said. “Focus, determination and keeping your mindset.”