College of Human Sciences holds first celebratory week

Tianxin Wen

The College of Human Sciences will come together to celebrate its first annual Human Sciences Week. Students and staff helped organize the party that’s been two years in the making. 

“A couple of other colleges have weeks specific for them,” said Pamela White, dean of the College of Human Sciences. “There is no reason why we can’t have one.”

The College of Human Sciences was formed in 2005, combining the College of Education and the College of Family and Consumer Sciences. 

“We have 10 years of our college being under our current structure,” White said. “All the programs in the college have been around since Iowa State University was founded in 1868. We are having a 10-year anniversary to celebrate 147 years of history. ”

The Human Sciences Week welcomes the whole university community and the surrounding Ames community to come and celebrate.

“We, as the college, of course want to have a fun time, but we are also trying to convey some of the things that the college stands for,” White said.

“I’m expecting to join in this event. It’s a good opportunity to know people from other programs. Since it’s midterm, I was tied with the pressure [of studying]. Human Science Week saves me from these exams,” said Yuzhu Jiang, sophomore in hospitality management.

White is especially proud of how the students and staff came together to plan the event.

“What really great about this week is that so many different people came together to plan it and the balance between the scholarly activities, the philanthropic activities, the fun and the informational activities,” White said. “I would hope students would maybe discover programs we do in the college they weren’t aware of. Hopefully it will just give people a taste of what the college stands for.”

The famous cherry pie, a fan favorite that dates back to 1922 that was a Veishea staple, will be back for the Human Sciences Week. In 2013, the last time pies were made, students in apparel, events and hospitality management sold 14,500 pies. The funds from the cherry pies are used for scholarships for students in the major.

The College of Human Sciences plans to evaluate how this year goes to see if it’ll continue Human Sciences Week in years to come.

For more detailed information and a daily schedule, visit the Human Sciences week webpage.