Rand Paul brings liberty message to Iowa State

Sen. Rand Paul speaks to a crowd of over 600 students in the Sun Room of the Memorial Union Friday.  

Thomas Nelson

Republican presidential candidate Rand Paul stuck to his message of privacy and the Bill of Rights during his speech to a crowd of 600 students Friday night at Iowa State.

“All of your information’s in a cloud,” Paul said. “Is the cloud protected?”

The Kentucky senator talked about all the information that can be obtained, for example, through a bank statement, including what books you read, what medication you take and what you buy.

“That’s none of the government’s business!” Paul said.

Paul said he believes that the United States can still combat terrorism without violating the privacy of innocent Americans. He talked about Japanese internment during World War II as a “mistake” the U.S. made, comparing it to today’s mistakes he believes the government is making because of a lack of constitutional oversight.

He said mandatory minimums and civil forfeitures have been violating the rights of citizens and talked about how it disproportionately affects communities of color.

Paul said there is no excuse for rioting in places like Ferguson, Mo. and Baltimore, Md., but “black and brown” people are regrettably part of the group most hurt by the war on drugs.

He also talked about foreign policy during his speech. He doesn’t want to give money to people who are “not friends” of the U.S., citing the Syrian Civil War and the U.S. government funding Syrian “moderates.”

“War is only supposed to be initiated by congress,” he said, citing former president James Madison and the original intent of Congress in declaring war.

Paul’s ISU appearance was part of the Presidential Caucus Series, which allows students and staff to directly question candidates. He answered questions from several students in the audience after his speech.

Jonathan Williams, kinesiology student from Grand View University in Des Moines, asked Paul about student loans. Paul said he wants to make student loans deductible because they are basically “businesses expenses,” or an investment in a future job students will get as a result of obtaining a college education.

He cited Democratic candidates who want to make college tuition free, but said someone ends up paying for it in the end. He called for innovation at schools, such as more online classes, which would lead to dropping prices.

Luke Hannenberg, senior in chemical engineering, said he felt that Paul made “good points” during his speech.

“I like the direction he’s going a lot better than most of his opponents,” Hannenberg said, adding he likes that Paul wants to put the power back in the hands of the people.

Paul’s event in Iowa was the second of his two-day trip during the weekend. He spoke earlier Friday night in Indianola and tailgated before the Iowa State football game against Iowa on Saturday at Jack Trice Stadium. He also appeared in Marshalltown and Nevada on Saturday.