ISU volleyball beats Texas A&M in four sets

Brian Mozey/Iowa State Daily

Sophomore setter Monique Harris sets the ball to redshirt sophomore Samara West during the Cardinal and Gold scrimmage match on Aug. 22. 

Garrett Kroeger

The ISU volleyball team earned its first win over a top-25 team for the 2015 season, defeating the Texas A&M Aggies in four sets.

Iowa State has been deciding to run the 6-2 system, which was the saving grace last season, or the 5-1 system this season. Without setter Suzanne Horner, who is still out with a concussion, the Cyclones took a chance and ran the 5-1 against the Aggies.

The system turned out to be effective.

In the first set, Iowa State was leading Texas A&M 18-15. From there, the Cyclones ran off six straight points. Iowa State won the first set 25-16 after a Samara West kill.

The second set was most of the same for Iowa State, winning 25-16 again. During a point in the set the Aggies were up 11-7 on the Cyclones. That lead did not last for long as Iowa State put up nine consecutive points to take the lead at 17-11.

The Cyclones closed out the second set with four straight points.

The third set was a close one, but Iowa State came up short as it lost 25-23 to Texas A&M.

However, momentum swung back into the Cyclones favor.West sealed the win with her 13th dig as Iowa State went on to win 25-20.

The Cyclones will play once again tonight as they take on in-state rival the Iowa Hawkeyes at 8 p.m.