Iowa State sweeps first game of doubleheader

Dalton Gackle/Iowa State Daily

Sophomore Monique Harris (8) digs a serve during the match against Dayton on Aug 28. The Cyclones beat Dayton 3 sets to 1.

Brian Mozey

The brooms came out as Iowa State swept Virginia Commonwealth, VCU, with scores of 25-21, 25-14 and 25-16 in three straight sets. The team relied on its serving and kill opportunities to obtain the win.

Freshman outside hitter Jess Schaben carried yesterday’s strong performance into today with a team-leading nine kills during the match. This makes 37 kills throughout the two matches against Appalachian State and VCU.

The other focus for the team this weekend was continuing its serving game. As junior setter Suzanne Horner is sidelined with a concussion this weekend, sophomore setter Monique Harris took control of the offense.

Harris had 18 assists, two digs and five aces, a career high. In the second set, Harris had had back-to-back-to-back aces, extending the Iowa State lead. The team had ten aces in the match.

The action continues Saturday evening as Iowa State faces the only other undefeated team this weekend, Virginia, at 6 p.m. in Charlottesville, Va. This match will determine the winner of the Cavalier Classic.