Key players in Cy-Hawk volleyball match

Brian Mozey/Iowa State Daily

Redshirt sophomore middle blocker Samara West and junior outside hitter Ciara Capezio tag team to blocker the Iowa hitter. West assisted in two blocks and Capezio in three blocks in the 25-17, 17-25, 18-25, 26-28 loss on Friday. 

Kevin Horner

Iowa State

Sophomore Alexis Conaway

Conaway led the Cyclones in kills against Iowa — successfully converting on 12 of 19 total attacks without an attacking error. As a result, Conaway recorded a career-high .632 hitting percentage on the match.

In addition, Conaway kept Iowa State in the match during the fourth and final set, recording half of her total kills during that game. Conaway also led the team in blocks with three, tacking on four digs and an ace as well.

Sophomore Monique Harris

Harris, playing in the 5-1 for the first time this season on Sept. 11, carried the setting load for the Cyclones against the Hawkeyes. She recorded 44 of Iowa State’s 49 total assists, adding a pair of aces as well.

As the 5-1 was utilized, Harris had the opportunity to attack and block from the front row — something she couldn’t do in the 6-2 system. As a result, Harris recorded two kills and two blocks on the match.

Iowa

Sophomore Jess Janota

Janota, Iowa’s prominent middle blocker, led the Hawkeyes in multiple categories — notching 20 kills on a .514 hitting percentage. Being a middle blocker in a scheme that relies heavily on the slide attack, Janota saw the most attack opportunities, 37, and took advantage.

After registering just two kills in the opening set, Janota went on to tally six kills in each of the final three games.

Junior Loxley Keala

Keala, the primary setter for the Hawkeyes, recorded 55 of Iowa’s 62 total assists on Friday night. Keala also tacked on five digs and three kills on a .429 hitting percentage.

Playing a significant role in the slide attack, Keala had to be sharp on her back sets, and she was. She led the Hawkeyes to a .379 team hitting percentage on the night.