Conaway and Capezio continue to improve from freshman year

Ryan Young/Iowa State Daily

Junior Ciara Capezio goes up for a kill at the team’s open practice on Tuesday, August 18 at Hilton Coliseum.

Brian Mozey

Freshman year treated junior outside hitter Ciara Capezio and sophomore middle blocker Alexis Conaway well. Now, the expectations are higher and the atmosphere is more competitive with these two players in the lineup.

Capezio and Conaway each received a spot on the Big 12 All-Freshman Team and received the Big 12 Rookie of the Week award during their freshman years at Iowa State, and the two have only improved since.

“Every player has room to improve from the previous season,” said head coach Christy Johnson-Lynch. “I hope these players continue to push in practices and games to become the player they hope to be in the future.”

Conaway had an up-and-down freshman season that started off in the right direction, but toward the end of the season she made a transition to middle blocker. That transition took some adjusting time, but her individual statistics still show why she made the Big 12 All-Freshman team.

Conaway played 104 sets throughout the season and had an average of 2.09 kills per set and a total of 217 kills while starting 28 of the 29 matches in the season. She also led the team in the blocks category with an average of 1.09 blocks per set and a total of 113 blocks.

These statistics and the period of transitioning led to her receiving All-Big 12 Honorable Mention, Big 12 Defensive Player of the Week and being named to the Big 12 Academic All-Rookie Team, along with the other two awards.

“This year I really like to focus on making a solid block every time and read the setters a little better,” Conaway said. “I also want to work on hitting different shots because my first year I got comfortable hitting the same shot over and over.”

On the other hand, Capezio has improved her statistics over her first two years and looks to continue that trend throughout her junior year. Capezio said she feels the best she has ever been and she’s ready to take on more sets and matches this season.

During Capezio’s freshman year, she played 101 sets and averaged 2.7 kills per set with a total of 273 kills, while starting in 26 of the 28 matches. Capezio was ranked second in total kills behind senior right side hitter Mackenzie Bigbee.

She improved those statistics in her sophomore year where she played 93 sets and averaged 2.98 kills per set with a total of 277 kills, while starting in 22 of the 29 matches. She led the team with total kills and played in less sets because of injuries throughout the season.

“My expectation for me is to do my best and continue to improve,” Capezio said. “There are some things I’ve been working on for the past two years and I hope this season can be my best year.”

Johnson-Lynch said she expects Conaway and Capezio to take on a leadership role and step up when veteran players are needed. She also said that she sees Capezio as a candidate that could take over graduated outside hitter Victoria Hurtt’s spot.

Conaway said this team is looking at bigger goals this season, like winning the Big 12 Championship and making a Final Four appearance. She said these goals are possible to achieve with this kind of team, but there needs to be a sense of focus and the will to never give up until the goal is reached.

“I think this team is capable of going far in the season,” Johnson-Lynch said. “The Big 12 Championship and Final Four is something we talk about all the time, and that’s the goal.”