Navigating testing centers

Ethan Crane / Iowa State Daily

Students take exams at the online testing center Friday, Oct. 19, in Carver Hall. Despite a second online testing center in Gilman Hall, the Carver location is often full to capacity.

Matthew Rezab

While virtually no one enjoys tests, they seem to go hand-in-hand with college classes. Enter the ISU Online Testing Centers. Almost every student at Iowa State will need to learn to navigate the testing centers to succeed during their time here. 

The two locations open during the fall and spring semesters are located at 60 Carver Hall and 2552 Gilman Hall. Tests for specific courses can also be assigned to 139 Durham Hall, but it the responsibility of the instructor to reserve the lab and inform the students.

Testing Center Manager Doug Bull said his office is focused on getting students in and out of the labs efficiently.

“We’re trying to balance the load better,” Bull said. “Over the course of time we’re doing a better and better job.”

Testing centers around campus processed 13,794 during Finals Week alone last spring. Here are some tips from the staff to make a trip to a testing center run smoothly.

Testing center locations and times change during Finals Week, check testcenter.iastate.edu/ for schedules.

Use The Eye In The Sky

Students now have the ability to check lines at the Carver and Gilman testing centers before leaving home through webcams provided by the university.

Simply visit testcenter.iastate.edu/webcams/ to get a live view of the testing center lines.

Come Early and Be Ready

Bull said students should not wait until the last available day to take a test even if it’s not a final exam

“Waiting until the last day runs the risk of a long line or a technical issue without time to resolve it before the deadline,” Bull said. 

Students should turn their phones off and have their ID ready upon entering the computer lab. Present the ID when checking-in at the front desk, a driver’s license or passport are acceptable as well.

Be prepared with the course name, section, instructor’s name and which exam will be taken. After completing the exam be prepared to produce an ID for the check-out counter staff.

Proceed out the door and breath a sigh of relief, that’s one test closer to graduation.