Setters Harris, Horner accepting different roles in new formation for ISU volleyball

Jenna Reeves/Iowa State Daily

Setters Suzanne Horner and Monique Harris pose at volleyball media day.

Kevin Horner

A volleyball team is not typically known for its two setters.

However, for the ISU volleyball team the model of a stereotypical collegiate team, specifically last season, did not suffice. Thus, a shift in formation was made to the less popular 6-2 system, incorporating two setters into the Cyclones’ scheme.

For one setter, junior Suzanne Horner, this meant adopting a quieter role for the sake of the team’s overall success. In the 5-1 system, a system involving one setter and five attackers, Horner was the focal point of the offense as the lone setter. Every play, if executed correctly, went through her.

However, with the integration of a second setter, Horner’s role shifted. This shift did not involve different responsibilities, just fewer. 

“My job was still to put up hittable sets and run the offense,” Horner said. “It was just half of the time instead of all of the time.”

A diminished role is a tough pill to swallow for numerous Division I athletes. Many would have expected this to be the case for Horner as well.

She had been the full-time starter all season. She led the team in assists, recording a season-high 62 assists at Texas Tech. She eventually went on to finish second on the team in digs with 208.

Yet for Horner, a transfer from Mississippi State, her mind was never on herself. It was about winning volleyball games and improving the success of the entire team.

“I’m always up for whatever the team needs me to do,” Horner said. “That’s what I needed to do for the team to perform to the best of their ability.”

And because for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction, Horner’s diminished role needed to result in an enhancement of another player’s role — in this case, sophomore Monique Harris.

Harris, then a freshman, began the 2014 season mainly as a defensive specialist. Even as a newcomer, she saw significant minutes, going on to play in 27 of Iowa State’s 29 total matches.

Despite her contributions as a defensive specialist, however, it was not until the switch to the 6-2 when Harris became entirely utilized.

“[The 6-2] gave me a much bigger role than I had,” Harris said. “It was nerve-wracking, but it was really exciting.”

And help out her team she did. In her setting debut — Nov. 5 against Kansas State — Harris recorded 23 assists along with 10 digs to round out her first career double-double.

In the final nine games of 2014 in which the Cyclones used the 6-2 formation, Harris averaged 6.34 assists per set and 2.22 digs per set — significantly higher numbers than her season averages.

“[Horner and Harris] each bring something different to the court that’s really helpful,” said sophomore Alexis Conaway. “I think it’s a lot easier for us [hitters] now.”

Entering the 2015 season, both players have already adapted to their new roles. It is still up in the air whether the 5-1 or the 6-2 will be used as the primary system for the Cyclones this season.

Depending on that decision, one of Iowa State’s primary setters may be required to move into an entirely different role.

In addition, a third potential setter has been added to the mix in the form of freshman Remi Bowman. Bowman, the No. 22 recruit in the Class of 2015, has already made significant strides.

“Remi Bowman is going to be really good,” said Christy Johnson-Lynch, head coach of ISU women’s volleyball. “Where she is this week compared to last week is phenomenal. I think she’s really coming along.”

Many questions remain unanswered regarding the future of these three ISU setters. Yet, as has been seen from Horner and Harris, one thing seems to hold true among all of the individuals on this ISU volleyball squad.

The success of the team comes before the success of any individual.