LGBTSS provides sexual orientation, gender identity services

Michael Rowley/IowaStateDaily

Adam Guenther, senior in animal science and president of the LGBTA Alliance, is advocating for gender-neutral housing at Iowa State. 

Brian Mccarthy

The state of Iowa is a progressive place.

In 1868, the Iowa Supreme Court struck down segregated schooling almost a century before the U.S. Supreme Court did the same nationally.

In 2009, Iowa legalized same-sex marriage, becoming the fourth state in the nation to do so.

And in 1993, Iowa State University established its Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Student Services office, one of the oldest in the United States.

LGBTSS’ purpose is to provide services and resources about sexual orientation and gender identity to Iowa State.

Brad Freihoefer, the LGBTSS coordinator, said the office is a popular spot for students to read, study or just hang out.

“Our center space … is pretty much standing room only from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.,” Freihoefer said.

The office offers a variety of resources — a DVD and book library, online resources about coming out, transitioning gender, how to come out, how to be a good ally and more.

LGBTSS also offers one-on-one consultations to talk about personal issues related to the spectrums of gender identity and sexual orientation and is heavily involved in advocacy for students.

Freihoefer said the office is available to help people of all orientations and gender identities, not just lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people.

“Some folks may be aware of gender and sexuality as a binary, but that doesn’t describe the vast expanse of experiences students are having or ways that they’re identifying,” Freihoefer said.

In addition to LGBTSS, Iowa State has eight student organizations that support LGBT+ issues.

There is also an Ames chapter of PFLAG, an organization for parents, family and friends of the LGBT+ community.

Students can learn more about LGBTSS and campus’ LGBT+ student organizations by visiting an open house outside of the Student Services building from 6-8 p.m. Aug. 27, visiting its website or stopping in.