Clubs, student organizations at Iowa State

Jessica Darland/Iowa State Daily

The George Washington Carver Association and the Saint Thomas Aquinas Church co-sponsored the homeless awareness sleepout on April 18. Students from various clubs and organizations gathered in the Saint Thomas Aquinas Church parking garage to play games, hang out, sleep in cardboard structures and spread awareness about homelessness. ISU basketball player Daniel Edozie came to speak about his experiences. This is the second annual homeless sleepout and it took place from around 6 p.m. to 8 a.m.

Leah Gage

A student’s freshman year begins a huge life change. Finding friends and classmates who share common interests and goals can make this change easier for students. Iowa State has more than 800 clubs and organizations available. Students are encouraged to get involved in to make transitioning to college life easier.

For more information and to see the clubs first hand, check out ClubFest from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Wednesday, Sept. 9, 2015, on Central Campus.

Here is the link to all of the student clubs and organizations available on campus: https://www.stuorg.iastate.edu/org-listing. 

Club types range from academic, social, recreational, political, religious and just about any other type of club imaginable. 

“The Adoption Club is welcome to all students,” club president Emily Unkrich said. “It is not just for students who have been adopted. I was not adopted, but I have a passion for adoption.

“We listen to speakers who work as adoption counselors, we hear adoption stories and we volunteer all over Ames,” she said. 

Clubs can provide students with personal and professional connections.

“Family and Consumer Science Education Studies Club provides many networking opportunities for students within similar majors,” club president Michelle Allison said. “Students in this club are able to grow professionally and personally through the activities and meetings we facilitate. We also create an environment that encourages community involvement and provides community service events.”

And if you don’t have interest in those clubs, there are hundreds more from which to choose.