Abby Caldwell’s positive attitude spurs early success

Ryan Young/Iowa State Daily

Freshman Abby Caldwell gets the handoff from graduate student Kate DeSimone in the women’s 4×1600-meter relay at the Drake Relays on April 23 in Des Moines. The team finished third overall with a time of 19:23.90.

Kyle Heim

Abby Caldwell’s title is true freshman, but that hasn’t stopped the women’s track team from instilling a great amount of confidence in its first-year distance runner.

The in-state native from Waverly has been entered in unfamiliar track events against some of the toughest competition in the country, and hasn’t been the least bit intimidated.

Entering the 2015 outdoor track season, Caldwell was introduced to the 3,000-meter steeplechase. And in her debut in the event, Caldwell outpaced teammate Colleen Riley’s school record time at the Stanford Invitational on April 3 in Palo Alto, Calif.

“Obviously [Riley and I] both run our hardest and we’re going to try and get the school record,” Caldwell said. “I think it’s healthy competition and we really handle it well because we help each other get better. [Riley] has a lot more experience than me in the steeple, so she’s always teaching me and helping me in practice.”

The record has almost become a game of hot potato as Riley reclaimed it at the Drake Relays on Saturday — the same location and meet she broke the record in 2014. Riley also secured a spot in the NCAA regional meet.

Riley said she and Caldwell do all of their workouts and many drills for steeplechase together in practice. This allows the two the opportunity to encourage and critique each other.

But the steeplechase is just one of many events Caldwell has witnessed success in throughout the indoor and outdoor seasons.

“[Caldwell’s] like a sponge,” said ISU distance coach Andrea Grove-McDonough. “She’s so new to track and field in so many ways. Maturity-wise as an athlete, she has a ways to go, which is both a blessing and a curse, but we’re excited about what we see down the road.”

Caldwell contributed two points for Iowa State at the Big 12 Indoor Championship, placing seventh in the 3,000-meter run with a personal best time of 9:32.63.

In addition to her successful first attempt in the steeplechase this outdoor season, Caldwell anchored Iowa State’s third place finish in the 4×1,600-meter relay at the Drake Relays before returning two days later to anchor the team’s eighth place finish in the distance medley relay.

“I think outsiders won’t fully appreciate all that Abby can do until a year from now in which case I think her name will be more on the radar here in Iowa,” Grove-McDonough said. “And then I think that’s really when you’ll see the impact she’ll have, sending a message in recruiting on how well our program can develop athletes and pick up on talent.”

Caldwell will get an opportunity Saturday to regain the top spot in the record book for the steeplechase at a location she’s familiar with — Palo Alto. Joining Caldwell on her return to the Golden State is redshirt senior Katy Moen.

The two will represent Iowa State at the Payton Jordan Invitationa, with Caldwell competing in the steeplechase and Moen in the 10,000-meter run.

“Katy and Abby are the perfect traveling duo,” Grove-McDonough said. “Katy’s pretty calm, obviously very experienced, obviously at the top of her game and Abby’s just kind of like ‘woo-hoo.’ [Caldwell] needs a Katy Moen if she’s going to Payton.

Grove-McDonough said the great attitude Caldwell possesses is unique in the sense that many athletes who have competed in the sport for a long time become ho-hum and begin going through the motions.

“I think that enthusiasm does rub off on other people,” Grove-McDonough said. “It makes them more excited about it. It certainly makes them all believe they’re capable of competing at any level.”