Women’s track, field concludes first day at Drake Relays with top-three performance in relay

Ryan Young/Iowa State Daily

Freshman Abby Caldwell runs in the women’s 4×1600 meter relay at the Drake Relays in Des Moines on Thursday, April 23, 2015. The team finished third overall with a time of 19:23.90.

Kyle Heim

The 1,600-meter relay marked the beginning of the Drake Relays for the ISU women’s track and field team Thursday.

Junior Perez Rotich ran the first leg of the relay for the Cyclones and was followed by freshman Evelyne Guay, graduate student Kate DeSimone and freshman Abby Caldwell. The relay team finished third with a time of 19.23.90.

The time they recorded is the fourth fastest for the event in ISU women’s track and field history.

Redshirt junior Julie Wiemerslage concluded the day of competition for Cyclones in the 5,000-meter run. The distance runner finished 20th with a 17:29.57 time.

Senior Christina Hillman will begin Friday’s competition for the Cyclones at the relays. Hillman is the defending outdoor champion in the shot put and will compete in the event at 11:15 a.m.