Women’s track, field makes history at Stanford Invitational, Tiger Track Classic

Kyle Heim

The ISU women’s track and field team’s holiday weekend was packed with historical performances and a long list of personal records.

Iowa State made its presence felt throughout the Stanford Invitational on Friday. Freshman Abby Caldwell stole the show, breaking the school record in the 3,000-meter steeplechase.

The Cyclones set four personal records in all, including Caldwell’s performance in the steeplechase. Freshman Evelyne Guay, redshirt freshman Erin Hooker and sophomore Heidi Engelhardt added to the list, setting personal best marks in the 1,500-meter, 5,000-meter and 1,500-meter, respectively.

Redshirt seniors Anna Holtermann and Kayla Sanborn notched top-five performances in the hammer throw at the Tiger Track Classic on Friday, finishing second and fourth, respectively. Freshman Jhoanmy Luque added a third place finish in the triple jump and a fifth place finish in the long jump.

Senior Kendra White finished fourth in the 400-meter at the Tiger Track Classic on Saturday and senior Christina Hillman finished third in the discuss.

In the high jump, sophomore Marine Vallet finished second, redshirt freshman Katie Reeves finished sixth and redshirt senior Hannah Willms finished 11th.

Junior Alyssa Gonzalez finished seventh in the 400-meter hurdles.

Next on the schedule for the Cyclones is the Jim Duncan Invitational on April 10 and 11 in Des Moines.