Oh Honey arrives at Maintenance Shop

Courtesy of Student Union Board

Courtesy of Student Union Board

Emily Benda

Brooklyn-native band Oh Honey will perform at the Maintenance Shop this evening. 

The group is composed of singer-songwriters, Mitchy Collins and Danielle Bouchard, and touring members, Robbie Ernst and Ian Holubiak.  

Oh Honey is a newer group. Musician and songwriter, Mitchy Collins, decided to create the folk pop duo in April 2013, and found Danielle Bouchard for his female counterpart after the help of friends. 

They released their first single in September 2013 and their first EP album, “With Love,” in November of the same year.  

This folk pop band has been receiving attention from well-known organizations. Their single, “Be Okay,” is featured in the current Chili’s commercial and was just covered in Glee’s “New Directions” episode. 

“This song [“Be Okay”] makes me think of a hippie dancing through a flower patch on a beautiful day. It’s so happy,” said Sam Iverson, sophomore in apparel merchandising and design.

“It’s kind of happy-go-lucky music,” said Natasha Porizkova, junior in public relations and co-director of the Maintenance Shop.

Oh Honey recently released a new EP album titled “Wish You Were Here” on March 25. The band has said that their four current EPs, “With Love,” “Sincerely Yours,” “Wish You Were Here” and soon to be released, “Until Next Time,” will conclude as a full series called “Postcards.”

Porizkova said the show should attract a large group of students, despite the performance taking place on a Tuesday night. 

“It’s selling pretty well … I know quite a few friends that listen to them on Spotify and like them on Facebook,” Porizkova said. 

Opening for Oh Honey is the band, PUBLIC, and solo artist, Nick Santino. Santino is the ex-frontman for band, A Rocket to the Moon.

Oh Honey will play at the Maintenance Shop at 8 p.m. Tuesday for their first visit to Iowa. The doors open at 7:30 p.m. Tickets are $10 with a student ID and $15 for the public, with a $2 increase the day of the performance.