Students to compete in campus singing competition

Courtesy of SUB

Parker Reed

Cyclone Voice, formerly known as Cyclone Idol, was an event featured during the weeklong Veishea events. Cyclone Idol was renamed this year because of the cancellation of Veishea. 

Since Veishea is no longer at Iowa State, we decided to rename the event to Cyclone Voice to create a fresh start for the event,” said Katherine Thompson, representative of the Student Union Board.

The Cyclone Voice prelims look place Monday night. More than 30 contestants took their talents to the Maintenance Shop to be evaluated by a group of judges. From these 30 contestants, 13 advanced to the finals.

Of the finalists, four are seniors, four are juniors and four are sophomores. Leaving one lone freshman in public relations, Rachel Pollastrini, as a finalist.

Pollastrini started singing in her school’s choir when she was 8 years old. Since then, she has been involved in many musical groups including church choir, musicals and even an indie rock band based at Iowa State called “Chasing Jack and Jill.”

“During prelim auditions, I was worried because the instrumental background music didn’t work during my audition, but I just kept singing it acapella and pretended nothing was wrong,” Pollastrini said.

Pollastrini is also involved in the GENRE music club and is a member of the Gamma Phi Beta sorority.

“I’m really excited to have the opportunity just to perform with all these extremely talented vocalists,” Pollastrini said. “It’s unavoidable for me to get nervous before each performance, but once I’m out there, no matter what happens, it’s always worth it.”

The finals of Cyclone Voice will be hosted by Andy Grammer. Grammer is best known for hit songs “Keep Your Head Up” and “Fine By Me.” In 2014, Grammer released his second album, “Magazines or Novels,” which featured popular singles such as “Back Home” and the charting hit “Honey, I’m Good.”

The Cyclone Voice Finals will begin at 8 p.m. Thursday in the Great Hall of the Memorial Union. Admission is free.