Hackathon helps build résumés, teaches computer technology

Noah Cary/Iowa State Daily

ISU students competed at the biannual Hackathon on April 5 at Coover Hall. 

Evan Howe

All students get the opportunity to study, but not as many get the opportunity to apply their knowledge and creativity to an in-depth, hands-on experience with their peers. That’s something the hackathon, titled HackISU, is trying to change.

In a hackathon, aspiring computer scientists team up with entrepreneurs and designers to create an application or other form of computer technology.

HackISU will kick off at 7 p.m. Friday and continue until 9 a.m. Sunday with project demonstration judging to follow.

“This event offers students the ability to work on hardware that many have only heard of,” said Li Chen, hackathon organizer for Major League Hacking.

HackISU organizers hope the event will be a learning experience, Chen said, adding that HackISU is also a great opportunity to help build résumés.

“Fifty percent of student hackers are empowered by the event,” said  Nick Quinlan, MLH Commissioner.

Quinlan said a hackathon can help build your résumé and let you become a more valuable asset to future employers.

The hackathon will be inclusive not just to ISU students, but also to students from other universities, colleges and high schools. Participants can choose to work in a team of up to four people or can work alone.

The hackathon is, at its base, an opportunity to learn something about computers.

“Many people can come with absolutely no computer experience and learn something,” Quinlan said.

HackISU is also an opportunity to build friendships. When people work side by side with people for 36 hours, it’s hard not make a friend.