Students are strongly encouraged to complete survey on sexual misconduct

Makayla Tendall

Students have the chance to help prevent sexual assaults and misconduct and help survivors by completing a campus climate survey on sexual assault.

The survey is part of a national survey put out by the White House to combat the rape culture and sexual assaults that occur on college campuses nationwide. ISU administrators are able to add questions specific to Iowa State to the survey in order to get feedback on sexual misconduct specific to Iowa State.

The survey is completely confidential, as well. 

John McCarroll, director of university relations, said though he knows students do not often want to fill out surveys, the survey will provide crucial data for the White House and college campuses on how often sexual assaults occur.

The survey is sent to every ISU student through their CyMail account, and the survey can be filled out through there. 

“The results will be used to guide policies to encourage a healthy, safe and nondiscriminatory environment at Iowa State University. It is important to hear from you, even if you believe these issues do not directly affect you,” said Robin Kelley, Title IX coordinator, in the email. 

Students also have the chance to win a $500 lottery if they complete the survey before April 22. 

“I know your time is valuable, but I hope you can find a few minutes to respond before the survey closes,” Kelley said. “Participation in this survey is completely voluntary and will not affect any aspect of your experience at Iowa State University. However, your response is important to getting an accurate picture of the experiences and opinions of all students.”

Westat, a social science research firm, is administering the survey. For questions or concerns, students can email [email protected] or call 1 (855) 497-4787.