Women’s track, field clashes youth with experience in outdoor season

Courtesy of ISU Athletics

Christina Hillman throws the shot put at the 2014 Big 12 Championships where she came away with the title. Hillman caught the attention of college scouts with very little training or experience.

Kyle Heim

For some athletes, this will be the final opportunity to compete as a Cyclone. For others, this will be the first opportunity to compete collegiately in outdoor track and field. Some have a year or two experience, and some will complete their third season of the 2014-15 year after competing in cross-country and indoor track and field. One member is a returning NCAA champion.

It’s a clash of youth and experience the team will use in an attempt to piece together a successful season and send multiple athletes to Eugene, Ore. for the NCAA championships in June.

“[The goals for the season are] to get as many people qualified to the NCAA championships as possible, score as many points as we can at the Big 12 meet and have individual champions at the conference level,” said ISU distance coach Andrea Grove-McDonough.

Youth

The ISU women’s track and field team is loaded with young talent that has already made its presence felt throughout the indoor season. In the final meet of the season for many, the first and second year athletes displayed noticeable improvements.

Freshman Jhoanmy Luque and sophomore Marine Vallet contributed six and five points, respectively, to the team’s 68-point total in the Big 12 Indoor Championship on Feb. 27 and 28.

In her first outdoor competition this season, Luque recorded 18 points for the Cyclones at the Baldy Castillo Invitational, finishing second in the long jump and taking the title in the triple jump. Luque’s mark in the long jump places her in seventh in the ISU record books.

Redshirt freshman Katie Reeves also competed in her first outdoor action of the season, placing fourth overall in the high jump. Reeves is returning from a successful indoor season that saw her finish in the top 10 of the high jump at both the Iowa State Classic and Big 12 Indoor Championship.

In distance events, freshmen Abby Caldwell and Olivia Robertson combined to score three points in the 3,000-meter run at the conference championships. Both runners clocked personal best times in the event. Freshman Evelyne Guay also scored points for the Cyclones, finishing sixth in the 1,000-meter run.

Redshirt freshman Erin Hooker claimed eight points of her own with a fourth place finish in the 5,000-meter and sixth place finish in the 3,000-meter. Sophomore Heidi Engelhardt set a personal record in the preliminary heat of the mile before gaining three points with a sixth place finish in the conference meet.

More improvements from the young athletes will not only set up the team for success this season, but also provide a strong foundation for future years.

“We’d like to get kids getting experience at the NCAA regionals and preliminary rounds, so that when they’re maybe in a position to make the NCAAs, they can have some experience under their belt at that higher level,” Grove-McDonough said. 

Senior Leaders

The group of experienced athletes on the team serve as a nice balance to the youth the team features. Returning NCAA champion shot putter Christina Hillman will attempt to defend her crown during the outdoor season after not competing indoors.

“I definitely have big goals, especially since indoors was such a great competition this year,” Hillman said. “Obviously I want to be Big 12 outdoor champ and I still have my sight set on being the NCAA champion this year.”

Redshirt senior throwers Anna Holtermann and Kayla Sanborn will join Hillman in field events. Both throwers competed in the hammer throw at the Baldy Castillo Invitational during the weekend, with Holtermann finishing 13th and Sanborn finishing 21st.

Senior Kendra White also made her outdoor debut at the Baldy Castillo Invitational. White placed first in the 400-meter dash, crossing the finish line more than two seconds faster than any of her other competitors.

Redshirt senior Hannah Willms continues to be a key contributor to the team as a high jumper. She finished eighth overall in the high jump at the outdoor opener.

On the distance side, redshirt senior Katy Moen and graduate student Margaret Connelly expect to lead the distance squad. In her most recent competition, Moen placed 10th in the 3,000-meter run at the NCAA Indoor Championship. Connelly last performed at the Big 12 Indoor Championship, where she finished third in the 3,000-meter and second in the 5,000-meter.

The 2015 outdoor season will mark the end to many athletes’ ISU track and field careers.

“My best memories here at Iowa State are being around my teammates,” Hillman said. “I absolutely love my team and I love spending time with them.”

Sprinters and Hurdlers

Alyssa Gonzalez gives Iowa State its only sprinter/hurdler. The junior finished eighth in the 600-meter dash at the Big 12 Indoor Championship and contributed to the team’s fifth place finish in the distance medley relay.

Gonzalez set a personal record in the 400-meter hurdles at the Baldy Castillo Invitational. Fellow hurdler Kaci Storm added a personal record of her own in the 100-meter hurdles.

The team has talented athletes across the board and has already begun its journey to qualify as many athletes as possible to the NCAA Championships in Eugene, Ore. on June 10 to 13.