ISU Day of Dairy aims to educate

Matthew Rezab

The Midwest Dairy Association will host “A Day of Dairy” on campus to help students better understand the world of dairy in the 21st century.

The event will begin Tuesday at 9:30 a.m. with a series of lectures and panel events and conclude with two sessions of “Dairy Makes Sense” at the Dairy Barn featuring a tour of the Dairy Farm, a dairy trivia contest and a pizza dinner. Each session is limited to 30 students.

Students can meet and be dropped off in front of the Memorial Union. Transportation will be provided.

According to its website, the Midwest Dairy Association represents 8,000 dairy farm families to 38 million consumers across 10 Midwest states. The association works on behalf of dairy farmers to increase dairy sales, foster innovation and inspire consumer confidence in dairy products and practices.

Students from multiple agriculture clubs across campus, including the Food Science Club and Culinary Science Club, helped organize the event with the help of the Midwest Dairy Association.

Karen Valde, senior in food science and Food Science Club representative, said the event is important to help students understand the basics of where dairy products come from and how they are produced.

“ISU Dairy Day is giving students an opportunity to go to the Dairy Farm, get more information about the dairy world and have fun with the trivia,” Valde said. “If you’re from a big town you might not have had the opportunity to see a real dairy farm.

Kristie Sigler, senior vice president at Fleishman Hillard, will be on hand all day to lead discussions and answer questions.

Students can RSVP for the afternoon events here.