Midwest Measures Up: Apparel, merchandising and design program ranks in the top 20

The ISU apparel, merchandising and design program ranked No. 20 in the top 50 fashion schools in the world in 2015, according to Fashionista.com. Much of what sets Iowa State aside is the technology students have to utilize. The program has a digital fabric printer, which can print any image uploaded in its software. Any ISU student can use the printer, but they must pay for the fabric. The printer can print on any type of fabric.

Miranda Pollitt

Among fields of corn, rows of tractors and marching cowboy boots, one would never expect to find one of the best apparel, merchandising and design programs in the nation.

Iowa State University is ranked No. 20 in the Top 50 fashion schools in the world, according to Fashionista.com. The website’s team of writers and editors evaluated each apparel school based on many factors, such as job placement rates, student and alumni feedback, business training and social life.

Other schools on the list include Central Saint Martins in London at No. 1, London College of Fashion in London at No. 2, Parsons the New School for Design in New York at No. 3 and the Fashion Institute of Technology in New York at No. 6.

Apparel majors can go to Iowa State for a full four years, study abroad, attend field study trips in places like Los Angeles, New York and Chicago, create a senior line in the fashion show and complete an internship in a major metropolitan city, all for less than the price of tuition only at the Fashion Institute of Technology.

Ann Thye, adviser of the apparel program, said this is just one of the reasons students from all around the world choose to earn their degree in apparel, merchandising and design at Iowa State.

There are many assets to the AMD programs that make Iowa State a top-notch university for apparel, merchandising, design and production.

Sarah Bennett, lecturer of  apparel, events and hospitality management, teaches multiple classes, as well as oversees the Fashion Show, along with the supplemental classes students are required to take if participating in the show. Bennett said she believes ISU students receive a well-rounded education, making the program stand apart from others.

“I think we give people a more comprehensive view of the industry,” she said.

At Iowa State, students not only learn about their main area of study, but also all other areas of the industry. Bennett said the fashion industry often has unclear job descriptions when one goes to apply for a job or internship. In other words, most employers expect a candidate to know a little bit about merchandising, design and product development for any position one may be seeking.

A well-rounded education is great when applying for jobs. But students in the apparel program also have a wealth of technology and resources at their fingertips. From digital printing machines and virtual body scanners to high-tech sewing labs, students in the college have many opportunities to learn about the most cutting edge technology in the industry.

In the apparel program, students also obtain valuable skills they will use in the industry. Anna Lickliter, sophomore in apparel, merchandising and design, had never sewn until she switched her major from civil engineering.

“I had never even touched a sewing machine until my first day in [AMD] 221, and I was kind of terrified,” Lickliter said. Although Lickliter had no prior experience, she now can sew and is continuing into more advanced sewing courses offered, like pattern making.

At some art schools or universities, students are already expected to know sewing, drawing and other skills. In Iowa State’s apparel design program, students learn these skills in their beginning level courses, such as AMD 221, a sewing course, and AMD 278, a fashion illustration class.

“What was appealing about the AMD program here at Iowa State University was that I didn’t have to worry about taking the design exam until I felt that I was ready, which is different from the Design College,” Lickliter said. 

In the apparel program, students take a certain track of courses before they take the design test. Once a student completes these classes and feels prepared, the student can sign up to take the design placement test.

In the apparel program, there are many opportunities students can take advantage of. One of the main opportunities apparel students take part in is studying abroad. Chris Wise, apparel, merchandising and design adviser, said an average of 33 percent of AMD students studied abroad during the past few years.

Apparel students have the opportunity to study abroad at Paris American Academy, London College of Fashion, Lorenzo de Medici, Accademia Italiana or Glasgow Caledonian University. There are summer programs as well as semester programs for students to choose from.

Morgan Hueser, junior in apparel, merchandising, and design, studied abroad in Florence, Italy Lorenzo de Medici in the fall of 2014.

“Especially with a major in apparel, merchandising and design, studying abroad is an amazing opportunity that we are presented,” Hueser said.

After studying abroad, most students find great reward in the their time spent overseas.

“My study abroad experience was one of the best decisions I have ever made,” Hueser said, “From learning a new culture to having the opportunity to travel to new places were things that I would have never been able to experience had I not made the decision to study abroad.”

If one isn’t ready to take the leap of studying abroad, Iowa State also offers field study trips for students. On a field study, students get the opportunity to visit a cities like New York and Los Angeles and tour different apparel companies and firms. The advisers and professors of the college lead the field study trips for the studnts.

On campus, students have many opportunities to get involved in apparel based clubs and organizations. These clubs include Trend Magazine, the Fashion Show and MODA.

The ISU Fashion Show is one of the largest student-run fashion shows in the country. Bennett said the Fashion Show is a great opportunity for students because it is entirely ran by students. It provides students with industry knowledge, as well as the opportunity to move up from committee member to director and then to producer of the show.

More than 140 students are involved with the show every year in some way. The fashion show includes designers, models, producers, directors and committee members.

By attending Iowa State, students get the experience of going to a true university.

“They get the experience of going to college,” Bennett said, “By going to Iowa State, you get to be prepared for the industry but also get an American college experience.”