Colleges Against Cancer hopes to paint campus purple, raise awareness

Yanhua Huang/ Iowa State Daily

Cancer survivors and supporters walk on the track to honor the successful fight against cancer. Iowa State hosted Relay for Life at Lied Recreation Center on Friday, March 7.

Berenice Liborio

The Iowa State University chapter of Colleges Against Cancer hopes to paint the campus purple and raise money for cancer awareness and research.

People can register for the group’s largest event — Relay for Life — from Feb. 1 to 7. 

The theme for the event this year is superheroes and the slogan is “saving the world, one lap at a time.” 

The ISU chapter will have a fundraiser at Insomnia Cookies on Feb. 3. Part of its profits for that day will go to Colleges Against Cancer.

Its goal this year is to raise $115,000. Last year, the event raised more than $103,000. 

“We are trying to push ourselves even more and we can all be heroes in a sense,” Jordan Schill, senior in marketing and vice president of Colleges Against Cancer.

Tim McKeague, sophomore in accounting and treasurer of Colleges Against Cancer, suggests students raise money as a team and not just go to the relay without any donation.

Each individual must raise $100 for the event.

“It all adds up in the long run,” McKeague said.

They will have booths at the Memorial Union, the library, Union Drive Community Center and another outside of Beardshear Hall, signing up people for free throughout the week. On Feb. 4 from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. they will be serving hot chocolate and cookies outside of Beardshear.

“The general mission as a club is to make sure more people know how much cancer affects people’s lives,” Kyle Miller, senior in materials engineering and recruitment chair for Colleges Against Cancer, said.

The ISU chapter will use the color purple to paint the campus, which starts at Curtiss Hall and ends at Beardshear Hall. The American Cancer Society uses the color purple for the survivors to celebrate and honor those who have survived and also remember those who have lost their lives to cancer.

The students involved who have family members who have fought cancer and others who are aware of cancer’s presence and want to do whatever they can to help bring awareness are the ones who shape the organization.

Miller lost his mom to cancer when he was a senior in high school. Earlier in high school, his dad had a benign tumor removed from his kidneys. Then about a year later, he lost his grandpa to cancer.

Hannah Eckerman, senior in elementary education and publicity director for Colleges Against Cancer, has a father who is a cancer survivor. 

“[It’s] one of the main reasons [why] I have done relay as long as I can remember with my family,” Eckerman said. 

They’re biggest event is Relay for Life, which will take place in Lied Recreation Athletic Center from 7 p.m., March 6 to 7 a.m., March 7. 

Relay for Life is not a racing marathon. It is a 12-hour event to honor survivors and remember those who passed from cancer.

Colleges Against Cancer will have events throughout the night such as hypnotism, zumba, a talent show and a luminary ceremony, with someone from the team walking at all times.

“I want people to know, personally for me, we are a real organization,” McKeague said. “We are working with American Cancer Society to help fight against cancer and I think students, everyone is affected by it one way or another. And they should help fight back.”