Iowa State full of motivation heading into Morgantown

Kelby Wingert/Iowa State Daily

Freshman Monte Morris passes the ball during the second half of the game against West Virginia on Wednesday, Feb. 26, 2014. The No. 15 Cyclones defeated the Mountaineers 83-66.

Alex Gookin

When Iowa State takes the floor against West Virginia in the team’s first Big 12 road game of the season, there will likely be some painful memories running through players’ minds.

For most, the emotional pain of the 102-77 drubbing the team took last season in Morgantown will be enough to motivate players for revenge. For Monte Morris, the physical pain of a punch to the head by WVU guard Eron Harris late in last year’s battle may serve as a bit of a personal motivator.

“[Harris] isn’t on the roster anymore, but I hope no one on the roster has got a plan to do that,” Morris said with a laugh. “We know last year our focus going into that game wasn’t too well … so this time around our focus is a lot different.”

The focus for West Virginia students also changes after heckling last year’s star, DeAndre Kane, and creating one of the most hostile road environments of the season for the Cyclones. This year, West Virginia’s Mountaineer Maniacs named Georges Niang their “bum of the game” in a student publication, giving the Cyclones yet another piece of bulletin board material, a collection that seems to be growing by the second.

“That’s pretty cute,” Niang said of his new title. “It’s nice that they do that. Nice school spirit.”

But if name-calling, fist-throwing and embarrassing the Cyclones in Morgantown wasn’t enough motivation, the pressure of getting big road wins in the knock-down, drag-out Big 12 race this season should.

Conference favorite Kansas received a scare from Baylor the night after Iowa State was taken down to the wire by Oklahoma State. Texas has already been upset at home by an Oklahoma team that’s in the hunt for a conference championship.

“It’s a great early test for us,” said ISU coach Fred Hoiberg of the two game road stretch ahead. “This will give us an opportunity to go out and steal one or two on the road and it certainly gives you a leg up.”

As for the No. 14 Mountaineers (14-1, 2-0 Big 12), they present one of the best offenses in the Big 12, thriving off of second chance points as they lead the nation with 18 offensive rebounds per game. Additionally, they feature one of the peskiest defenses in the nation, averaging an NCAA-best 13.1 steals per contest.

The unique combination creates extra possessions for the Mountaineers and gives the Cyclones a new challenge to tackle after suffering poor shooting nights in games against South Carolina and Oklahoma State.

“They’ve taken almost 300 more shots than their opponents with the turnovers, with the offensive rebounds,” Hoiberg said. “It’s going to be a battle. They pressure you for 40 minutes all over the floor.”

And the Cyclones are prepared for 40 minutes of physical and emotional battle. This time, they hope for no punches or 25-point losses.