Graduate College welcomes new students

Emily Stearney

Incoming graduate students were welcomed by Iowa State on Jan. 26.

An orientation session took place an hour before the GPSS meeting in the Sun Room of the Memorial Union.

Craig Ogilvie, assistant dean of the graduate college, began the orientation by encouraging graduate students to get involved in activities outside their comfort zone.

“The reason to go to graduate college is to gather expertise in a very specific area,” Ogilvie said.  “But that’s not enough.”

Ogilvie recommended that students push for more out of their graduate experience by joining student groups and fully engaging in the university and all it has to offer.

Ogilvie said that while in-depth knowledge in a specific area is what graduate students come to Iowa State for, more can be taken from the university.

“Take advantage and grow in a different direction,” Ogilvie said. “I want you to be known as an innovative leader in your profession.”

One of the goals the graduate college sets for itself, Ogilvie said, is to prepare its students to take leadership roles in whatever company they’re in. Being at Iowa State gives students those chances, he said.

“Iowa State offers over 130 masters and Ph.D. programs, and over 35 graduate certificate programs,” said Judy Strand, assistant to the associate dean.

The graduate college celebrated its 100th anniversary in 2013.

“The new president of the graduate college said he would like to grow the graduate program by 40 percent,” Strand said. “That means there are some additional scholarships available, additional funding and accommodated programs.”

Strand also introduced Karin Lawton-Dunn as the new head of Graduate Career Services, which will work solely with graduate students in finding jobs.

Susan Vega-Garcia, an associate professor in the library, encouraged students to attend the upcoming workshop, “Everything you Need to Know About the Library But Were too Afraid to Ask,” which will take place from 3 to 4:30 p.m. at Parks Library on Thursday, Jan. 29.

The Preparing Future Faculty program, offered through the Center for Excellence in Learning and Teaching, does just that by providing students four courses to help them decide if becoming a faculty member is right for them, Holly Bender announced.

Bender, associate director for CELT, explained the program as one that will support students in their professional profile, as well as present speakers from different areas within the faculty.

“We expose you to panels of faculty from all different types of universities and we show you the whole spectrum,” Bender said about one of the four courses offered through the program. “We want to help you become the top of the pile.”

The four-course program will explore the different career options within the faculty.

Applications will be due at the end of February and interested students can visit the CELT website to learn more.

GPSS President Arko Mukherjee closed the orientation by talking about the research conference Iowa State will be hosting in April. 

“A conference organized by students for students,” Mukherjee said.

The conference will help teach students how to present their work at a conference, without the pressure of standing in front of an unfamiliar crowd, Mucherjee said.

Mukherjee closed the orientation by giving students similar advice to Ogilvie about students’ time at Iowa State.

“Get out of your lab and do something for fun,” Mukkherjee said.