Cotton-Moya nabs Big 12 Defensive Freshman of the Year, Bibbs All-Big 12 First Team honors

Senior tight end E.J. Bibbs runs around Texas players during the game in Austin on Oct. 18. The Cyclones fell to the Longhorns 48-45 in the last few seconds of the game.

Alex Gookin

ISU defensive back Kamari Cotton-Moya has been awarded Big 12 Defensive Freshman of the Year and tight end E.J. Bibbs was named All-Big 12 First Team by the league’s 10 head coaches.

Cotton-Moya, a redshirt freshman, finished the season as Iowa State’s leading tackler with 77 total stops and 55 solo tackles. He also recorded two tackles for loss, broke up eight passes and recovered a fumble.

As one of many young players on Iowa State’s defense, Cotton-Moya established himself as one of the best young safeties in the league, playing in all 12 games in his first season of action.

Bibbs, a senior, was one of eight John Mackey Award semifinalists and led the nation in receptions and touchdowns by a tight end for parts of the season before having to sit out the final two games with injury. 

He finished with 45 receptions for 382 yards and eight touchdowns, two touchdowns short of breaking the school record.

Offensive linemen Tom Farniok and Jacob Gannon, along with defensive lineman Cory Morrissey and kicker Cole Netten received honorable mention honors. Freshman Allen Lazard also picked up honorable mention offensive freshman of the year.