Perfect your study spot to ace that final

Carolina Colon

It’s here. 

Finals week. 

Choosing a study environment that is right for you might not be an easy task.

Evaluating what distracts you is important to help students decide the correct study place.

To completely concentrate, students need to find a place without interruptions, such as TV, Netflix, radio or even people. Not everyone studies in a silent environment, however. Some students prefer to listen to classical or any genre of music.

Students should also consider the lighting. Find a happy medium — not too bright but not too dim — that creates the perfect environment to ace that test.

Temperature can also play a role in how you study. Temperature affects the ability to stay awake or fall asleep; when the temperature is too warm, most students tend to sleep more than if the temperature is colder.

The time at which students study is also important. Ask yourself when you are most productive: during the morning, day or night hours.  

“I prefer studying at night in my apartment,” said Jenna Wellik, a senior in child, adult and family services. “Unlike the library, it has limited distractions.”

Posture is another consideration when studying for finals. Some students enjoy studying in a desk while others prefer relaxing on a couch.

Emily Gile, freshman in kinesiology, said she prefers to study at a desk. Most of the time studying in discomfort helps the student to stay awake.

Another study method some students consider is group studying.  Consider if you work best alone or in a group with classmates or friends.

Jordan Volkert, sophomore in biology, said she likes to study in groups.

“Studying in groups depends on the class,” Volkert said. “I find it more rewarding when someone in the group quizzes me and I already know the answer.”

By this time of the year, all those who never stepped inside the library decide to head there to concentrate on their finals. This might work for some, but for others, it might not seem like the best idea. 

Maria Buitrago, freshman in animal ecology, said she preferred to study in the Wallace/Wilson Common Area.

“I tend to not focus in my room because my bed is near me, so I decide to head to the commons,” Buitrago said.

According to a Virginia Tech survey, 80 percent of a student’s studying is done in his or her room, not in a library or study hall.

On the other hand, some students decide to choose the library because it has no distractions and more silence.

In order to achieve the best results on your finals, be consistent with your study environment. 

Now, go ace that test.