Nolan wins Big 12 Libero of the Year, two more Cyclones honored

Junior libero Caitlin Nolan digs the ball against Kansas on Oct. 22. Nolan finished with 43 digs on the night. 

Harrison March

For the seventh year in a row, the Big 12 Libero of the Year honor belongs to the ISU volleyball team, the conference announced Dec. 1.

Caitlin Nolan became the third ISU libero to claim the award in the seven-year span, following three-time winners Ashley Mass and Kristen Hahn.

Nolan, a unanimous selection for the honor, led the Big 12 in digs per set and ranked fifth in the NCAA in that category with a clip of 5.74 per frame. She also tallied a school record-tying four matches this season with at least 30 digs, highlighted by her Big 12 record-tying 43 digs against Kansas on Oct. 22.

Nolan was also named to the All-Big 12 First Team, marking just the sixth time a libero has claimed the honor in conference history.

ISU outside hitter Victoria Hurtt was also named to the All-Big 12 First Team after a comeback season that saw her rank second on the team with 2.65 kills per set and average a career-high 0.58 blocks per set.

Hurtt has also been an efficient player on offense, tallying her 257 kills while making just 82 errors on 823 attacks to hit .213 on the year.

Freshman middle blocker Alexis Conaway became the first ISU freshman to receive All-Big 12 honors by being named to the Honorable Mention list. She also extended Iowa State’s run of All-Big 12 Freshman Team members to three years, following in the footsteps of Mackenzie Bigbee and Ciara Capezio.

Conaway’s .334 hitting is the second-best in team history and is well on pace to break the ISU freshman record. Conaway has also developed into a block-generating machine, churning out 1.09 per set to rank eighth in the league. She set a freshman record in block assists, totaling 101 so far this year.