Iowa State stays nearsighted, focuses in on UMKC

As a sophomore, Morris played five minutes more per game than as a freshman. He also upped his scoring average by five compared to the previous season.

Max Dible

Monte Morris derives his motivation from wherever he can. This week it comes from Michigan and a pack of declawed Wolverines.

“We have seen a lot of teams go down earlier in the week, like Michigan lost to [New Jersey Institute of Technology],” Morris said. “We just do not want to be a part of that.”

Iowa State (5-1, 0-0 Big 12) will grapple with University of Missouri-Kansas City [UMKC] (3-6, 0-0 WAC) on Dec. 9 in Ames. Morris and the rest of the ISU squad are cognizant of the potential pitfalls.

Morris said that hopefully being aware it is a trap game and preparing for it as such, the Cyclones can avoid becoming ensnared. Iowa State would not be the first major conference team to fall into the Kangaroo’s clutches in 2014.

University of Missouri-Kansas City is another in a long line of ISU opponents, including Oakland and Georgia State, who possesses abilities and have attained recent accomplishments that exceed their limited reputation.

The Kangaroos took to the road and upset the Missouri Tigers in their second contest this season. In its very next game, UMKC amassed a 10-point second-half lead versus Kansas State before the Wildcats mounted a comeback.

The fact that a skirmish of potentially epic proportions with in-state rival Iowa looms in the near future, makes the match-up Dec. 9 all the more dangerous for Iowa State.

“We will make sure that we are focused [Dec. 9],” said ISU basketball coach Fred Hoiberg. “They have shown they are too talented to overlook. We can not overlook anybody. We are not good enough to do that.”

The Cyclones were good enough, however, to do just about whatever they wanted against No. 18 Arkansas as they made nearly two-of-every-three shots they attempted on their way to a season-high 95 points.

Morris said that neither he nor Hoiberg fear any opponent when the offense produces numbers like 19 assists and 64 percent shooting from the field.

“Coach preached that after the game,” Morris said. “We play like that and play together, and he does not think anyone in the country can beat us.”

The success against Arkansas stands in stark contrast to the first halves of all three ISU home games that preceded it.

Against Oakland, Georgia State and Lamar, the Cyclones came out sluggish, and the close halftime scores reflected those failures.

“We have got to get off to a good start. That is important,” Hoiberg said. “We did not do that last week against Lamar. We let them hang around. You can not do that.”

A crucial aspect of a winning formula will be handling the UMKC pressure. Junior Georges Niang talked about the different looks the Kangaroos offer and why the Cyclones must be ready.

“They are actually pretty talented, and they get out and pressure,” Niang said. “I am guessing we are going to see some [full-court press], and I am guessing we are going to see some of their zone trap too.”

The press and zone trapping have been familiar tactics employed to stop Iowa State this season, although Morris said he believes it is just a coincidence of style and not a measure specifically employed to slow him down or get in his head.

If it has been a particular strategy then it has been a failure, as Morris had his worst turnover performance of the year against Arkansas when he coughed the ball up all of twice throughout the entire game.

Still, Niang said the Cyclones will take nothing for granted.

“We have already had our eyes opened when Maryland beat us,” Niang said. “Teams can be beat, and we are not invincible, just like any of these teams.”

Tip is set for 6 p.m. on Dec. 9 at Hilton Coliseum.