$22 million gift to university helps Student Innovation Center

Molly Willson

An anonymous couple recently donated $22 million to Iowa State.

The sum will be split with part of the donation going to the new Student Innovation Center and part to be made into an endowed dean’s chair in the College of Human Sciences.

The new Student Innovation Center will be receiving a large portion of the donation, said John McCarroll, University Relations executive director.

The new center will be a 175,000 square foot building meant for student interaction, co-curricular activities with the College of Engineering and College of Design and hands-on and discovery-based learning. There will also be potential for other activities in other disciplines according to a proposal given to the Board of Regents at the Sept. 9-10 meeting.

At the meeting, $8 million was asked for the fiscal year of 2016. An additional $32 million will be asked for in the future. An additional $40 million will be sought in private donations making the budget $80 million in total. The anonymous gift will play a large part in funding the new Student Innovation Center.

“It’s a very generous gift for both projects, and it certainly helps us get the Student Innovation Center funding off to a very strong start,” McCarroll said.

The remainder of the money will be used to create an endowed dean’s chair for the College of Human Sciences. On Friday, April 17, 2015, Pamela White will be inaugurated into the position.

This money will allow the new dean to further the College of Human Sciences by being able to add new programs and enhance learning in the college itself.

“What this does is provides funding to the college dean that she can use at her discretion to invest in improvements and new programs,” McCarroll said.

In a press release from the university, President Steven Leath commented on the generous donation.

“We are extremely thankful to this wonderful couple for their extraordinary generosity toward their alma mater,” Leath said. “Through their gift, they assure that the mission of this great university will be advanced for generations to come through the creation of a facility that fosters innovative, interdisciplinary learning and also by enhancing educational opportunities in the College of Human Sciences.”