ISU football player Devlyn Cousin arrested for domestic assault, suspended

ISU redshirt sophomore defensive tackle Devlyn Cousin plays in Iowa State’s spring game on April 12 at Jack Trice Stadium. As a redshirt freshman during the 2013 season, Cousin appeared in seven games as a reserve, including the final six games, recording six tackles and 1.5 sacks. 

Alex Gookin

Iowa State defensive lineman Devlyn Cousin was charged with domestic abuse/assault, first offense and obstruction of emergency communications at 11:44 p.m. on Dec. 12, according to Ames Police Investigations Commander, Geoff Huff.

Cousin was no longer listed on the active inmate roster at the Story County Jail as of early Saturday morning.

Huff said the domestic abuse charge is a simple misdemeanor and that obstruction of emergency communications generally is used when the suspect is obstructing someone from calling 911 or emergency services.

ISU coach Paul Rhoads said in a statement from the athletic department that Cousin is suspended indefinitely. The full statement reads as follows:

“We are aware of the charges filed against Devlyn and we take them very seriously,” Rhoads said in the statement. “The allegations brought against Devlyn are not consistent with the expectations of our program. Devlyn is currently suspended indefinitely under the Iowa State student-athlete discipline policy as we gather more information.”

The 6 foot, 2 inch sophomore played in nine games for the Cyclones in 2014 and recorded 12 tackles.