Editorial: Top tips to halt sexual assaults against males

Katie Titus

On a college campus where only about 70 percent of sexual assaults are reported, it is important to know what some of the students options are for reporting rapes and assaults, or if they just want someone to talk to. 

1. ISU Police Department — The ISU police department has a Sexual Assault Response Team that pairs up with other organizations such as Mary Greeley Hospital and ACCESS in Ames to protect victims. 

2. Ames Police Department — The Ames police department, much like the ISU police department, will come to your bed side at the hospital or if you go through another organization if you choose to report the crime.

3. Student counseling service — This service allows students to talk about the crime that they became victim to without having to report it to police. Anything that is said to the counselors is considered confidential. 

4. ACCESS —The Assault Care Center Extending Shelter and Support is an anonymous place to call and discuss your sexual assault or rape with someone who will listen to your problems and can offer help if you so choose to receive it. 

5. Hospitals — any hospital is a safe place for sexual assault victims. There is the option for the victim to have police come to your bed side and report the crime if you so choose.

These are just a few options out of the many that are offered on the ISU campus. Victims should never have to be scared to report a sexual assault or rape, and the people at all of these places are there to help ensure a no judgement and no victim blaming area.