Women’s basketball signs top-15 class

Brian Mozey/Iowa State Daily

Coach Bill Fennelly addresses the press during the women’s basketball media day on Thursday. 

Harrison March

Three prep basketball players signed their National Letters of Intent to play for the ISU women’s basketball team, the athletic department announced Nov. 12 in a press release.

The signing class is ranked No. 15 in the country according to ProspectsNation.com — the highest ever for the ISU women’s basketball program.

The Cyclones picked up commitments from Meredith Burkhall, 6-foot-3 forward from Urbandale, Iowa, Bridget Carleton, 6-foot-1 guard from Chatham, Ontario, Canada and T’Aire ‘TeeTee’ Starks, 5-foot-11 guard from Brooklyn Park, Minn.

Burkhall, who plays at Roosevelt High School in Des Moines, is the top-ranked women’s basketball recruit in the state of Iowa for the 2015 class. She has a 91/100 overall rating according to ESPN, where she is also listed as the 18th-best forward in her graduating class.

“I tease her that she reminds me of Tim Duncan,” said ISU women’s basketball coach Bill Fennelly. “She’s kind of got that kind of game.”

Carleton will be Iowa State’s first-ever player to hail from Canada and is the top-rated prospect in the country. She represented her nation at the FIBA U17 World Championship for Women, where she averaged 33 minutes in seven games played. In the event, Carleton tallied 14.4 points, 5.9 rebounds and 2.1 steals per game.

“I don’t want to say she’s the next Alison Lacey, but she’s a big guard,” said ISU assistant coach Jodi Steyer, who led the charge in recruiting Carleton. “Her vision is really good. She’s got a strong build that’s getting better…When you get a 6-[foot]-1 guard that can handle it and pass like she can and she has the scoring [ability], that’s what makes ’em special.”

Starks, who hails from the same city as sophomore ISU guard Seanna Johnson, led her high school team to state championships in her freshmen and sophomore years, amassing a record of 61-3 over those two seasons. She played just 19 games last season due to injury, but averaged 9.2 points, 5.4 rebounds and 3.8 assists per game.

“She’s a big, physical guard, which we needed badly. We have some very talented guards, but they’re a little on the smaller side,” Fennelly said. “She comes in playing at a high level, so that’ll help. [Starks] can play any perimeter position.”

The ISU women’s basketball team kicks off its 2014-15 campaign with a matchup against USC Upstate at 12:30 p.m. on Nov. 16 at Hilton Coliseum.