What to watch for: Iowa State women’s basketball exhibition game

Kelby Wingert/Iowa State Daily

Freshman guard Jadda Buckley shoots a 3-pointer against Florida State on March 22. Iowa State fell to Florida State 55-44 in the first round of the NCAA Tournament in Ames. Buckley scored 10 points for the Cyclones.

Harrison March

The ISU women’s basketball team kicks off its 2014-15 campaign Nov. 4 with an exhibition game against William Penn. Here are the five things to look for in the Cyclones’ first competition of the year:

1. Jadda Buckley taking over

Last season, guard Jadda Buckley was the only freshman in the country to shoot at least 40 percent from the field, 40 percent from three-point range and 87 percent on free throws. With the graduation of leading scorer Hallie Christofferson, Buckley will step into a bigger scoring role this year.

2. Filling in for Nikki Moody

Senior guard Nikki Moody is suspended indefinitely for behavioral issues in practice, head coach Bill Fennelly announced in a press release Oct. 31. Moody’s 12.5 points per game last year was second on the team and the most by a returning player.

3. Battle of the bigs

Freshmen Claire Ricketts and Bryanna Fernstrom are in a race for the starting spot in the post for the Cyclones. Both players were McDonald’s All-American nominees during their senior high-school seasons.

4. Seanna Johnson stepping up

Johnson started all 31 games in her freshman campaign, averaging 10.2 points and 8.1 rebounds per outing. The 2014 Big 12 All-Freshman Team selection will play a key role for the Cyclones again this year.

5. Making the transition

Freshman Emily Durr netted 2,445 points in her high-school career to break the New York Section 3 all-time scoring record, previously held by Team USA’s Breanna Stewart. The McDonald’s All-America nominee will face a tough challenge in adapting to a further three pointer and the physicality of the college game.