The Biggest Winner: ISU students support childhood obesity campaign on ‘The Biggest Loser’

Courtesy of Allison Lansman, junior in dietetics who transformed her body after being inspired by The Biggest Loser and participated in the Riding it Forward campaign. 

Jasmine Schillinger

Allison Lansman, junior in dietetics, and Laura Meany, sophomore in agricultural studies, had the opportunity to be on this year’s season of The Biggest Loser to support the Riding it Forward campaign.

The Riding it Forward campaign is a project that tackles childhood obesity by promoting an active lifestyle and healthy eating.

“The campaign partnered with the National 4-H Council and that’s where I became a part,” Meany said. “The Council asked us National Ambassadors to be change agents, where we practice a healthy lifestyle and promote others to commit to fighting childhood obesity.”

Lansman and Meany are both members of the National 4-H Healthy Living Management Team as Ambassadors. Lansman, Iowa’s representative and Meany, Minnesota’s representative.

“We were accepted to be two of five ambassadors selected from across the US,” Lansman said. “All ambassadors have a different area of interest within healthy living, mind is nutrition in food, weight management and obesity across our country.”

Joe Ostaszewski ,the former Biggest Loser finalist of season 14, and his brother founded the Riding it Forward campaign. Ostaszewski committed to ride his bike across the country, starting at the National 4-H Youth Conference Center in Maryland and ending at the Biggest Loser Ranch in California.

“Along the way, Ostaszewski stopped at various schools, community centers and 4-H Clubs to speak with youth and see what they are doing themselves to be healthy,” said Meany.

Lansman and Meany were a part of the kickoff and finale moments of “Joe’s Ride” on The Biggest Loser. The Iowa State students were there to represent 4-H as change agents for healthy living and to cheer on Ostaszewski.

Lansman suffered from childhood obesity, but after graduating high school she decided that she had to make a change in her lifestyle. Lansman’s mother, who also was suffering from obesity, was one of her biggest supporters.

“We decided to do this together as a team,” Lansman said. “Constantly providing each other support and keeping each other working toward our goals. Eventually, after a ton of hard work, we both had dropped 50 lbs. one year later!”

Lansman happened to be a die-hard Biggest Loser fan and said the show was something that kept her motivated while losing her own weight.

“I nearly had a panic attack when I found out that the National 4-H Council was partnering with one of the finalists that I watched through my own weight loss,” Lansman said. “The most amazing thing about being able to visit the Biggest Loser Ranch was the phenomenal energy, it felt like success and passion. Knowing how many lives that place saved was an amazing experience.”