Titus: Christmas in November: It’s never too early to spread Christmas spirit

Katie Titus

“The best way to spread Christmas cheer is singing loud for all to hear,” said Buddy the Elf from the 2003 movie “Elf.”  Some people on campus have already started playing Christmas music in their headphones and started wearing their ugly sweaters around to classes to celebrate the holiday season. Others will hold off on joining in on the Christmas joy until after Thanksgiving.

No matter when you decide to celebrate the holidays, anytime is the right time.

When it comes to celebrating Christmas, people start at all different times. The early birds start before Halloween is even over. Some will start preparing for Christmas at the beginning of November, and then there are the people who will wait to acknowledge Christmas until a mere few days before.

The battle between students about whether it is too early to celebrate Christmas is happening between friends and roommates all over campus. In my house, we have already set up our Christmas decorations, started playing Christmas music and downloaded our fireplace app for the winter. While we have chosen to start celebrating now, we are not forcing anyone else to celebrate, therefore not causing any harm by deciding to begin our Christmas obsession a month early. 

Others on campus may not begin setting up their Christmas decorations until after Thanksgiving. Then you have the people on campus that completely despise the playing of Christmas music before Thanksgiving.

Truth being, I am an early Christmas celebrator, so much in fact, I think that the anticipation of the holiday can sometimes be more fun than when Christmas actually arrives. I do not see any problem with getting your Christmas cheer on whenever you want, even if that means wearing a Christmas sweater in middle of July. While I may begin to love for my favorite holiday a tad early, I am not ignoring the rest of the holidays during the winter months. 

Just because I celebrate early, does not mean that we are forgetting about Thanksgiving. Thanksgiving is one of my favorite holidays. Who doesn’t love sitting around with the people closest to you and enjoying the best meal you will have all year? I know I do. Just because I have started listening to Christmas music does not mean that I have given up on the other holidays that happen in the winter season.

The ads on the television have already started for the holiday season. Already, large companies like Target and Younkers have started airing their Christmas ads on T.V. and while that may be annoying, we should also remember that Christmas is one of the largest retail holidays to be celebrated, and many people buy their Christmas gifts long before the Christmas season.

Look around you Christmas refusers! Christmas is being celebrated all over the place. We all know it is practically killing you to not join in on the Christmas fun. The stores have already started putting Christmas decorations on the shelves, coffee shops have began to sell their holiday blended coffee and both the television and the radio has started playing Christmas music.

No matter where you turn, you cannot get away from people basking in the Christmas cheer. Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years Eve are all going to be celebrated, so fretting over someone else choosing to listen to Christmas music seems so silly. So while the grinches of campus sit inside pouting about the people pink with cheer, I will be listening to my Christmas music and roasting chestnuts over my digital fireplace.

May the holiday season continue and may your days be merry and bright.