GSB funds student groups $20,000

Brian Mozey/Iowa State Daily

Representatives from Dance Marathon discuss the need for a new budget during the spring semester. This discussion was brought up during the GSB meeting on Nov. 5.  

Oscar Alvarez

The Government of the Student Body funded almost $20,000 to multiple student organizations at Wednesday’s Government of the Student Body meeting.

GSB funded almost $20,000 to student organizations as a part of its Special Allocations Recommendations for the Fiscal Year of 2015.

Organizations are eligible for special allocations if they did not request regular allocations or if they have an unforeseen expense. Every year, GSB has $20,000 available to give out to student organizations. $45,000 was requested by many student organizations this year, and after review of eligibility for funding by the GSB finance committee, seven groups were funded.

The groups funded were Ethos, Atheist and Agnostic Society, SAE International, Sir Magazine, Team PrISUm Solar Car, ISU Trap and Skeet Club, as well as the Dance Marathon.

Also passed was a senate resolution developed by Chair of the Diversity Committee Presha Kardile and Senator Danielle Nygard that will see closed captions and subtitles to applicable audiovisual media on campus. Audiovisual media includes recorded lectures and televisions on campus. GSB voted to pass the resolution.

Dance Marathon, a club that holds a 15-hour event every year, will be hosting two separate 12-hour dance marathons. They originally requested $7,500 to fund lighting, staging and sound. After debate amongst senators, GSB voted to fund $5,000 of the requested $7,500.

ISU French Club requested to pull its budget from the special allocations in order to receive $100 for serving food. After debate, GSB decided to fail the bill.

GSB then focused attention on a bill which would have funded a little over $12,000 to the Rodeo and Stampede Club for the purpose of holding a bull riding event.

Due to GSB distributing over $19,000 of their $20,000 special allocation budget, the GSB said it had insufficient funding and voted to fail the bill.

Next week, GSB will look at new business which involves funding Genre, Hindu Yuva, ISU Baseball Club and looking at the debt contract of the ISU Global Health and Aids Coalition.

The ISU Global Health and Aids Coalition has fallen into debt. If the bill passes, GSB plans to give funds to the group. The funds provided by GSB will come out of its Student Organization Debt Reserve Account and be given to the recognized club for the purpose of removing them from its current debt. The group will repay GSB according to terms and conditions in the contract.

In this case, GSB agrees to give $907.14 to the club at the beginning of the contract. The club will then agree to repay GSB $192.32 each semester from Spring 2015 to Spring 2017. Due dates for payments will be the final day classes are in session in each semester.

In addition to the principal payments, the club will accrue interest charges for the entire semester on the first day of each semester. The interest charges will be two percent per semester of the unpaid principal amount.

These four bills will be brought up for the second read at next week’s GSB meeting.