Set It Off comes to campus

Courtesy of Student Union Board

Courtesy of Student Union Board

Emily Benda

The band “Set it Off” will play on Oct. 26 at the Maintenance Shop. The alternative rock group of five released their second album, “Duality,” last week.

The early beginnings of “Set it Off” in 2008 were inspired by popular bands such as All Time Low and Fall Out Boy. The band’s name was even inspired by Fall Out Boy’s “Calm Before the Storm.”

“Especially when we first started we would take inspiration from other bands until we realized we could go further with our own stuff,” said Austin Kerr, the bassist of the band. 

The group just recently released their sophomore album, “Duality.” Kerr says it is a little different than their first album or previous EP albums and possibly attract a larger college audience.

“We wanted to write an album and completely unleash anything that held us back. We said, ‘let’s just write music we enjoy and the best music we possibly can and make that our album,’” said Kerr.

During their performance on Sunday, “Set it Off” will mostly perform their newer songs to see how well they are received with the audience. 

“We want to put our best foot forward,” said Kerr. 

Opening for “Set it Off” is the band, “ILL WAY,” an alternative punk band from West Des Moines, with a few Iowa State student members.

The doors open at 7:30 p.m. on Oct. 26 at the Maintenance Shop. The bands will play at 8 p.m.

Tickets are $8 with a student ID and $14 for the public, with a $2 increase the day of the show. They can be purchased at the Maintenance Shop box office or online at www.midwestix.com.