Fresh faces look to make splash for ISU basketball

Courtesy of ISU Athletics

Freshman forward/center Georgios Tsalmpouris, redshirt junior forward Jameel McKay, senior guard Bryce Dejean-Jones, freshman guard Clayton Custer and sophomore guard Hallice Cooke.

Max Dible

Bryce Dejean-Jones 

While ISU coach Fred Hoiberg said redshirt senior Dejean-Jones is a different player from former ISU guard DeAndre Kane, much of the perimeter scoring burden left by Kane will fall to the transfer from UNLV.

Dejean-Jones scored more than 13 points per game for the Rebels last season and has the inside track on a starting position this year for the Cyclones.

Jameel McKay 

McKay was forced to sit out for the entirety of the 2013-14 season after transferring in from Marquette via Indian Hills Community College last year.

NCAA transfer rules require that the 6-foot-9-inch forward sit for another eight games to start the 2014-15 campaign, but when McKay returns to the court he will provide defensive length and agility around the basket that Iowa State did not have in its arsenal last season.

Clayton Custer 

Custer is a true freshman and a sharp-shooting guard who gives Hoiberg a ball-handling and scoring option off of the bench.

Custer said he recognizes his role and will be ready to step in whenever he is called upon in his first season as a collegiate athlete.

Georgios Tsalmpouris 

A true European-style player, Tsalmpouris can not only add a defensive presence in the paint but can pass the ball effectively on the perimeter and knock down long-range jump shots.

The Greece native stands more than seven feet tall but is thin, despite having put on 20 pounds since arriving on campus.

Tsalmpouris averaged a triple-double in his Greek under-17 league, and once his body develops, he has a chance to be a force for the Cyclones on the inside.

Abdel Nader

The redshirt junior sat out the 2013-14 season at Iowa State after transferring in from Northern Illinois and should provide added offensive versatility on the edge along with Dejean-Jones and sophomore Monte Morris.

Hoiberg described Nader as the kind of player capable of making tough shots, which is a valuable asset against stout defensive opponents.

Hallice Cooke 

Cooke transferred to Iowa State from Oregon State after a freshman season that saw him score more than eight points per game.

Cooke is a sharp shooter from deep and will spend the 2014-15 season developing those skills while he is forced to sit out due to NCAA transfer regulations.